Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Kishore Kandikonda <kn...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/27 17:34:19 UTC

POI HSSF file read in Websphere 5.1

My websphere app server(v 5.1) at times shuts down when the my code is unable to read the excel spreadsheet uploaded through the web-app. I am supposed to read a csv file, but since poi asks for an ole type component to read, I am having to convert the .csv file into .xls manually through the MS Excel app. Does anybody think that I could be messing around with the spreadsheet format by doing this?

Also, it scares me that an error in file read actually causes the jvm to dump and write to a core file, rather than it being hadled in my catch block. I cannot possibly allow this to happen in on a live web site. Does anybody know how this can be handled?

Thanks,
Kishore

P.S. I have tried various ways to convert .csv to .xls and there is no one way which allow the file to be read for sure.