Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/10 10:15:54 UTC

Volume ownership and permission

Hi Folks,

I am working on MESOS-8767
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-8767> to improve Mesos volume
support regarding volume ownership and permission, here is the design doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QyeDDX4Zr9E-0jKMoPTzsGE-v4KWwjmnCR0l8V4Tq2U/edit?usp=sharing>.
Please feel free to let me know if you have any comments/feedbacks, you can
reply this mail or comment on the design doc directly. Thanks!

Regards,
Qian Zhang

Re: Volume ownership and permission

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks James for your comments! Please see my replies inline.lin

> I assume that this scheme will only be supported on Linux, due to the
dependencies on the Linux ACLs and supplementary group behaviour?

Yes.

> Rewriting ACLs on volumes at each container launch sounds hugely
expensive. It's IOP-bound process and there are an effectively unbounded
number of files in the volume. Would this serialize container cleanup?

My original thinking was, we only set ACLs on the volume root dir for each
container, do you think we need to do it for each file & sub-dir under the
volume root dir? If so, then instead of setting ACL another option is: when
the first time a volume is used by a container, volume ACL manager generate
a unique GID for the volume rather than the container, and do the two steps
below for the volume root dir and each file and sub-dir under it.

   1. change the owner group to the allocated GID
   2. set the `setgid` bit (this is just for dir but not file)

And when the second container tries to use the same volume, volume ACL
manager (we may give it another name) will just return the previous
allocated GID to the volume isolator and no need to do anything for the
volume. And volume ACL manager needs to maintain a reference count for each
volume for which containers are using the volume, and deallocate the GID
when no container is using the volume (i.e., reference count == 0). How do
you think?

And what did you mean for "serialize container cleanup"?

> It seems like ACL evaluation will mean that this scheme will only mostly
work. For example, if the container process UID matches a user ACE, then
access could be denied independently of the volume policy.

Did you mean the case that the supplementary group of the container process
is allowed to write to the volume (e.g., rwx) but the container process UID
is not allowed to write to the volume (e.g., r-x) and then the result is
the container can not write to the volume which is not what we expect?

> Will the VolumeAclManager apply a default ACL on the root of the volume?
Does this imply that when it updates the ACEs for the container GID, it
also needs to update the default ACLs on all directories?

Currently I do not think we need to set the default ACL on the volume root
dir.

Regards,
Qian Zhang

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Folks,

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Folks,

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Peach <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Peach <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Thanks for your comment!

I think you are talking about the SANDBOX_PATH volume ownership issue
mentioned in the design doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QyeDDX4Zr9E-0jKMoPTzsGE-v4KWwjmnCR0l8V4Tq2U/edit#heading=h.s6f8rmu65g2p>,
IIUC, you prefer to leaving it to framework, i.e., framework itself ought
to be able to handle such issue. But I am curious how framework can handle
it in such situation. If the framework launches a task group with different
users and with a SANDBOX_PATH volume of PARENT type, the tasks in the group
will definitely fail to write to the volume due to the ownership issue
though the volume's mode is set to "rw". So in this case, how should
framework handle it? And if we want to document it, what is our recommended

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.
I commented on the doc, but at least some of the issues raised there I would not regard as issues. Rather, they are about setting expectations correctly and ensuring that we are documenting (and maybe enforcing) sensible behavior.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marc,

I have shared the design doc to ensure anyone (no sign-in required) with
the link can comment, can you try again?

Regards,
Qian Zhang

Posted by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marc,