Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> on 2021/10/01 08:33:51 UTC

Re: Ubuntu update fails

Hi,

Bintray went offline a while ago. Our official instructions and docs were updated ahead of that to point to the new location for our binary artefacts;

At https://docs.couchdb.org/en/stable/install/index.html check the "Installation using the Apache CouchDB convenience binary packages" section, we'll keep that up to date should it ever change again.

B.

Re: Ubuntu update fails

Posted by Bill Stephenson <bi...@cherrypc.com.INVALID>.
Thank you very much for the help Brian!

I fiddled around a bit using the info you've provided and did get the
update to CoucDB 3.1.2 installed and working fine.

--

Kindest Regards,

Bill Stephenson
Tech Support
www.ezInvoice.com
1-417-546-8390

Re: Ubuntu update fails

Posted by Brian Lanier <br...@amco.me>.
On 10/1/21 12:46 PM, Bill Stephenson wrote:
> On 10/1/21 3:33 AM, Robert Newson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Bintray went offline a while ago. Our official instructions and docs
>> were updated ahead of that to point to the new location for our
>> binary artefacts;
>>
>> At https://docs.couchdb.org/en/stable/install/index.html check the
>> "Installation using the Apache CouchDB convenience binary packages"
>> section, we'll keep that up to date should it ever change again.
>>

>> B.
>

> Thank you Robert.
>
> I have to assume my issue is my ignorance and I'm doing this wrong. I
> suspect it's because I don't know how to properly run these commands:
>
> I've ran them one line at a time:
>
> sudo apt update&&  sudo apt install -y curl apt-transport-https gnupg
>
> curl https://couchdb.apache.org/repo/keys.asc|  gpg --dearmor| sudo
> tee /usr/share/keyrings/couchdb-archive-keyring.gpg >/dev/null2>&1
> source  /etc/os-release
> echo  "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/couchdb-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/couchdb-deb/
> ${VERSION_CODENAME}main"  \
>     |  sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/couchdb.list >/dev/null
>

> And just copied and pasted them all into the terminal:
>
> sudo apt update&&  sudo apt install -y curl apt-transport-https gnupg
> curl https://couchdb.apache.org/repo/keys.asc|  gpg --dearmor| sudo
> tee /usr/share/keyrings/couchdb-archive-keyring.gpg >/dev/null2>&1
> source  /etc/os-release
> echo  "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/couchdb-archive-keyring.gpg]
> https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/couchdb-deb/
> ${VERSION_CODENAME}main"  \
>     |  sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/couchdb.list >/dev/null
>

> I get the same result:
>
> Err:14 https://apache.bintray.com/couchdb-deb xenial/main amd64 Packages
>   403  Forbidden
> Reading package lists... Done
> W: The repository 'https://apache.bintray.com/couchdb-deb xenial
> Release' does not have a Release file.
> N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore
> potentially dangerous to use.
> N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user
> configuration details.
> E: Failed to fetch
> https://apache.bintray.com/couchdb-deb/dists/xenial/main/binary-amd64/Packages
> 403  Forbidden
> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
>
> I'll certainly appreciate any additional direction I can get on this.

Hi Bill,
You may want to check your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory and see if
there are any files with the old bintray.com address still in it. You
can also look in the full output for what looks to be from apt to see if
it made the connection to the https://apache.jfrog.io repo. I have run
into occasions where I thought I updated a value for a stale repo but
instead simply added the new one so that apt was still trying to connect
to both. Banged my head a couple of times until I realized the issue and
simply removing the stale line and running apt update (or apt-get update
on older Ubuntu) would refresh the list and work just fine. My guess
would be either a second file with a different name for the original
repo still exists or maybe apt update wasn't run after the new repo was
added.
You could try something like: grep -R couchdb /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
to see if both repos still exist in some way... or maybe even just: grep
-R couchdb /etc/apt/ to see if it was added to some other file.

That is where I would start at least, checking for duplicates and make
sure to run apt update after to it rereads the config.

Brian

Re: Ubuntu update fails

Posted by Bill Stephenson <bi...@cherrypc.com.INVALID>.