Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/06 12:42:17 UTC

i give up

I give up. I cant get simple things to work and the scattered documentation
is not helping . I will wait till the year when there will be a Tapestry5 in
action book.

Re: i give up

Posted by Katia Aresti <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

Recently one Tapestry committer - Christophe Cordenier
-<http://spreadthesource.com/>[1] posted an announce to make people to
join him to create some projects
together in order to learn Tapestry. This initiative is helping to build
Tapestry demos in order to make beginners life easier.
Hotel-Booking-Demo [2] is an startup. Another demo is Tapestwitter [3],
which is going to be modified to add new Tapestry 5.2 features and a new
layout, with kind of components as you described you wish to learn. We will
create more complex demos from this base.
If you are motivated to learn and give Tapestry feedback, you could join the
team.

Tapestry 5.2 adds new features, and some of them are described and very well
explained on Igor's blog [4]
You will find very good tutorials in Howard's blog [5], as for example how
to understand what "Heartbeat" and "Environmental" means ... (honestly, this
is not an easy part)

Don't give up !!!!  And do not blame tapestry neither because of maven, or
because maven plugin doesn't work. As this is Tapestry, not Maven project ;)

Katia

[1] : http://spreadthesource.com/
[2] : http://github.com/ccordenier/tapestry5-hotel-booking
[3] : http://github.com/lguerin/tapestwitter
[4] : http://blog.tapestry5.de/
[5] : http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/

Re: i give up

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.
Taha,

Re: i give up

Posted by Taha Hafeez <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

Re: i give up

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
When you define a component in the Java class, using a field with the
@Component annotation, it has to "bind" to an element of the template with
the matching t:id attribute.  Your template, Index.tml, does not have an
element with t:id="menuBar".

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sven
>
> Seems like i am getting somewhere.
>
> Kindly tell me, what causes this:
>
> An unexpected application exception has occurred.
>
>   - org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.internal.OperationException
>   Embedded component(s) menuBar are defined within component class
>   com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index (or a super-class of Index), but are not
>   present in the component template
>   (classpath:com/josh/tcontacts/pages/Index.tml).
>   trace
>      - Constructing instance of page class com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index
>      - Creating ComponentAssembler for com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index
>   - java.lang.RuntimeException
>   Embedded component(s) menuBar are defined within component class
>   com.josh.tcontacts.pages.Index (or a super-class of Index), but are not
>   present in the component template
>   (classpath:com/josh/tcontacts/pages/Index.tml).
>

> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Sven Homburg <homburgs@googlemail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > ${value} in the Menubar template should be ${item}
> >
> > with regards
> > Sven Homburg
> > Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
> > http://chenillekit.codehaus.org
> >

> > 2010/11/6 Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>:
> > > class Menubar
> > > {
> > >  @Property
> > >  private List menuItems;
> > >
> > >  @Property
> > >  private String item;
> > >
> > >  @Component(parameters = {"source=menuItems", "value=item"})
> > >  private Loop itemLoop;
> > >
> > >  @SetupRender
> > >  void initSomeVars()
> > >  {
> > >     menuItems = new ArrayList()
> > >     menuItems.add("First Item");
> > >     menuItems.add("Second Item");
> > >  }
> > > }
> > >
> > > Menubar.tml
> > > <t:content>
> > > <ul>
> > > <li t:id="itemLoop">${value}</li>
> > > </ul>
> > > <t:content>
> > >
> > > class Index
> > > {
> > >  @Component
> > >  private Menubar menubar
> > > }
> > >
> > > Index.tml
> > >

> > > with regards
> > > Sven Homburg
> > > Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
> > > http://chenillekit.codehaus.org

> > fine

> > in a
> and
> page
> > by
> and

> joshnet2030@gmail.com>

> > with

> the
> > same

> > developer,

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to learn
how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: i give up

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sven

Re: i give up

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.

Re: i give up

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks  alot.

Am on my eclipse trying it out.

regards.

Re: i give up

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.
class Menubar
{

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 16:40:13 -0200, Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks guys,

You're welcome!

> My menubar thing worked. Am proceeding very well now and am liking it.

Cool! What was your error? I'm very curious to know. :)

> I am planning on starting a blog and sharing my lessons with the world.

That would be very nice. Don't forget to post its URL for us. ;)

Re: i give up

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Muhammad. I hope to be good enough to help someone.

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:14:29 -0200, Everton Agner <to...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yeah, and that's the huge step i mentioned after that! After Tap, I saw
> some things about JSF but i find it too boring and overcomplicated in
> some basics to work with... And recently i'm working on a .net
> architecture with
> asp.netwebforms, and I see some huge differences also... Specially
> that
> asp.net (and i dare to say jsf too) is only productive with IDE support
> (for
> layout/code generation etc.). All the tapestry pages i developed so far
> were
> made by coding all of them on Eclipse without IDE graphic support nor
> code
> generation. Tapestry code is just simple and readable most of the times.
> But, some tools to make some things faster wouldn't hurt, also.
>

>> Yes, and for free. :) I just hadn't the time to build a little site for
> it. tapestry.com.br is mine. :) My book covers
>> Tapestry 5.1 and my plan is to update it continuosly. Anyway, it can
>> still
> be used to learn Tapestry 5.2 as it is.
>
> Great! If you need my help on anything just ask, amigo. It will be a
> great
> tool for converting many brazilian developers to Tap :)
>

> _______________________
> Everton Agner Ramos
>

> 2010/11/11 Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>
>
>> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:38:04 -0200, Everton Agner <to...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Tapestry can be a little hard to understand and to use it effectively
>> in
>>> the beginning. Before meeting Tap, the only framework I really used was
>>> Struts 1.x, so i guess i took a huge step, and i just loved it.
>>>

>> Struts is request-oriented, Tapestry, JSF and Wicket is component and
>> event-oriented, so you had to learn not just another framework, but a
>> completely different approach to Web applications.
>>

>>  Thiago, are you going to release a Tap book? Great!!
>>>

>> Yes, and for free. :) I just hadn't the time to build a little site for
>> it.
>> tapestry.com.br is mine. :) My book covers Tapestry 5.1 and my plan is
>> update it continuosly. Anyway, it can still be used to learn Tapestry
>> 5.2 as
>> it is.
>>

>> --
>> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>> Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
>> and instructor
>> Owner, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.
>> http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
Consultor, desenvolvedor e instrutor em Java, Tapestry e Hibernate
Coordenador e professor da Especialização em Engenharia de Software com
Ênfase em Java da Faculdade Pitágoras
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: i give up

Posted by Everton Agner <to...@gmail.com>.
Whoops, i meant:

> Yep... that's why some people think jsf is nice

_______________________
Everton Agner Ramos

Re: i give up

Posted by Everton Agner <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: i give up

Posted by Everton Agner <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: i give up

Posted by Everton Agner <to...@gmail.com>.
Tapestry can be a little hard to understand and to use it effectively in the
beginning. Before meeting Tap, the only framework I really used was Struts
1.x, so i guess i took a huge step, and i just loved it. But i needed to
read the whole "Tapestry 5: Building Web Applications" book to understand
most of things, specially because i never met component based web
frameworks. Some other developers who worked with me by that time just
didn't want to understand things, just code it. So, they failed most of the
time. I guess it's the same as doing SQL before knowing what is a database
and how it works.

One more thing that scared me back then was the Tap IoC code in the modules
classes. But I was new to IoC itself too, so I guess it could be explained
by that. Now I love it.

Some times i thought if Tap wouldn't be too High-tech for me lol

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: i give up

Posted by françois facon <fr...@gmail.com>.

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:45:49 -0200, Nicolas Barrera <nb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thiago,

Hi, Nicolas!

> could you post a link to your portuguese T5 documentation/article/book?

I haven't released it yet. :(

> just curious, as I 'm learning both right now.., T5 and portuguese :D

Cool! I'll post a link when it's ready. :)

Abraço! :D

Re: i give up

Posted by Nicolas Barrera <nb...@gmail.com>.
Thiago,

could you post a link to your portuguese T5 documentation/article/book?

just curious, as I 'm learning both right now.., T5 and portuguese :D

cheers!

Nicolás.-

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> First you have to understand it well because it's almost like nothing you
> have been seen before with respect to productivity and programming models
> (did I use the term right ?)

Part of its fundamental concepts (pages and components modelled and
treated as objects) have some similarity with Wicket, but the
implementation details are quite different.

> Anyway, stay on it. Follow the documentation mentioned above..and this
> one too http://people.apache.org/~uli/tapestry-site/index.html, Once I
> looked at the FAQ page, man it took a breath away !!..

The Tapestry weakness has always been the documentation, but the new one
it's becoming waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the current one.

> Felt like looking at a gold mine !! At last someone is speaking about
> the difference between pages and
> components, different @Inject annotation variances...and the mystery
> called Environmental etc, You will love it.

@Environmental and the Environment are not hard to use, just to understand
at first sight. :) Think of it as one way of a page or component to pass
some info both up and down in the tree.

> I haven't tried much web frameworks but Tapestry is lovely.

In my humble opinion:

* Struts 1 sucks big time. I started hating it when I started to teach it.
* Struts 2 (aka WebWork) is what Struts 1 should have been in first place.
It's a nice framework, but it's request-oriented. Tapestry, Wicket and JSF
are component and event oriented, making programming easier and better.
* JSF is complex.
* I've never programmed in other Web frameworks.

> Only if it had the amount of developers working on it fulltime, we'd
> have it just the way
> we'd like a web framework to be soon enough to end the frustration. But
> sadly they are all almost busy with their jobs, and no one can blame them
> for that.

If anyone wants to pay me to work on Tapestry full time, please tell me.
:) ;)

Re: i give up

Posted by Muhammad Mohsen <m....@gmail.com>.
Congrats :)

too http://people.apache.org/~uli/tapestry-site/index.html, Once I looked at
the FAQ page, man it took a breath away !!..Felt like looking at a gold mine
!! At last someone is speaking about the difference between pages and
components, different @Inject annotation variances...and the mystery
called Environmental etc, You will love it.

I haven't tried much web frameworks but Tapestry is lovely. Only if it had
the amount of developers working on it full time, we'd have it just the way
we'd like a web framework to be soon enough to end the frustration. But
sadly they are all almost busy with their jobs, and no one can blame them
for that.

Stay on the list, anyone will surely help if he could :)

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys,
>
> My menubar thing worked. Am proceeding very well now and am liking it.
>
> I am planning on starting a blog and sharing my lessons with the world.
>
> regards.
>
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 12:55:09 -0200, Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >  Thiago,
> >>

> > Hi!
> >

> >  I am using Eclipse with maven and running it via mvn jetty:run. I am
> fine
> >> with restarting jetty when i make a change so i dont care much about
> >> enabling live reloading.
> >>

> > You'll learn and develop way faster with live class reloading. There's no
> > reason for not using it (and many for using). Are you running jetty:run
> in
> > the command line or using m2eclipse? If under m2eclipse, there's one
> gotcha:
> > it configures Eclipse such that src/main/resources isn't copied to
> > target/classes autimatically.
> >
> > How is your package structure? Where are you putting your files? I guess
> > Tapestry isn't finding your component template due to it being in the
> wrong
> > place or not being included in the classpath. Component templates should
> be
> > in the same package as the corresponding class and have the same name,
> case
> > sensitive.
> >

> > --
> > Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> > Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
> > and instructor
> > Owner, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.
> > http://www.arsmachina.com.br

*Regards,*
*Muhammad Gelbana
Java Software Programmer*

Re: i give up

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys,

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Thiago,

Hi!

Re: i give up

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thiago,

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: i give up

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Thiago for your encouragement.

Here is my layout class.

    <head>

    </head>

        <t:body/>

package com.josh.tcontacts.components;

import org.apache.tapestry5.annotations.Import;

@Import(stylesheet={"context:css/style.css"})
public class Layout {

}

Here is my scenario.

I have learnt how to create pages and how to create the layout component.
Learning how to use the individual ready made tapestry components is not
going to be a problem since the component reference is quite good.

My main problem so far is to manage the layout and to compose pages. I am
used to decomposing my pages into components. E.g i can have the header
component, the menus component, the EditUser component  e.tc. when ever i
want to create a new page, i can create the page and which will "inherit"
from the main layout but then be "Composed" of other components .  You may
have suspected that i have worked with wicket before i decided to try
tapestry. I could create panels in wicket and compose other pages using the
panels. That way i never repeat any markup .  Now i wanted to achieve the
same with tapestry and i know its possible. If i can be able to compose
pages, then working with the readily available components is not an issue.
Again , if i were to create each page and inherit the Layout, that wont be a
problem. How ever, i really need to be sure that i can split the markup into
various components and compose the pages as neccessary. I have read the book
by Kolesnikov but its referring mostly to tapestry 5.0 while there are major
features introduced in 5.2.x. So i used the book to learn the basic concepts
which i have understood. how ever, i wanted to learn the current stuff
regarding the UI components, annotations .e.t.c.

I hope you have a picture of my situation.

Again thanks alot for your help.

Regards.

Re: i give up

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: i give up

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.
i remember my early days wirth tapestry.
i was in the same situation as nearly most tapesty beginners, i "feel"
that tapestry is a big pitch
but i was far away from understanding the philosophy behind tapestry.

it was a stony way, without personal help and no books.
but since a few years (since Tapestry 5), i feel extremly well with tapestry.

i recommend you, stay on this road and take advantage of the community,
that is very fast an extremly polished