Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/10/28 11:57:37 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Several proposals

Hi all,

I have some proposals to submit to your approval:

1. Feature <config/> tag should be able to create the corresponding etc
file (KARAF-970). If the <configfile/> tag create the cfg file in the
etc folder (it's the purpose of this tag ;)), the <config/> tag create
the properties only the properties in the ConfigAdmin memory, it doesn't
flush into the Karaf cfg file. This behavior could be defined by a
property in the etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file.

2. Refactoring of the Maven modules on trunk (KARAF-963). For instance,
the config shell commands are in shell/config module, and the config
MBean is in the management/mbeans/config module. More over, we are going
to add new OSGi services (for config, for wrapper, for kar, etc, etc). I
propose to refactore the Maven modules to use a structure similar to
admin or features modules. For instance, it means that we will have a
config module containing a core module (containing the core
implementation and the OSGi services), a command module (containing the
shell commands), a management module (containing the MBeans).

3. Include the kar feature by default. To "promote" the usage of the KAR
artifacts, I think it could be interesting to provide the KAR support by
default in Karaf (as a bootFeatures). The KAR deployer is light and
doesn't cause overhead.

WDYT ?

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Several proposals

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Whow Andreas, you are a mathematician (4x+1) ;-)

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
to make it short: 4x+1

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
For 2, it's true, the artifacts name will change, etc. But I think it's
the safest way to start the Karaf 3 branch, avoid code duplication, and
have a clean structure.

Regards
JB

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Proposal 1: +1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree with Gert's proposal.

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi JB,

1) this is for sure a great improvement cause doing not so just confuses our
users :) +1
2) sounds good to me +1
3) +1 it's lightweight so just include it.
4) +1 I guess this could help us in the future with features

regards, Achim

2011/10/28 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>

> Another proposal comes from Gert.
>
> The purpose is to support "version range" in the <repository/> tag in a
> features descriptor.
>
> As we support version range in the feature (for instance <feature
> version="[2.5,4)">cxf</**feature>), the <repository/> tag should also
> support version range.
>
> I'm going to raise the corresponding Jira.
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 10/28/2011 11:57 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have some proposals to submit to your approval:
>>
>> 1. Feature <config/> tag should be able to create the corresponding etc
>> file (KARAF-970). If the <configfile/> tag create the cfg file in the
>> etc folder (it's the purpose of this tag ;)), the <config/> tag create
>> the properties only the properties in the ConfigAdmin memory, it doesn't
>> flush into the Karaf cfg file. This behavior could be defined by a
>> property in the etc/org.apache.karaf.features.**cfg file.
>>
>> 2. Refactoring of the Maven modules on trunk (KARAF-963). For instance,
>> the config shell commands are in shell/config module, and the config
>> MBean is in the management/mbeans/config module. More over, we are going
>> to add new OSGi services (for config, for wrapper, for kar, etc, etc). I
>> propose to refactore the Maven modules to use a structure similar to
>> admin or features modules. For instance, it means that we will have a
>> config module containing a core module (containing the core
>> implementation and the OSGi services), a command module (containing the
>> shell commands), a management module (containing the MBeans).
>>
>> 3. Include the kar feature by default. To "promote" the usage of the KAR
>> artifacts, I think it could be interesting to provide the KAR support by
>> default in Karaf (as a bootFeatures). The KAR deployer is light and
>> doesn't cause overhead.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

*Achim Nierbeck*

OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>  Committer &
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Several proposals

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Mike,

We HAVE TO implement something similar to subsystems. However subsystems
is part of OSGi 4.3, and so focus on trunk/Karaf 3.0.

I think that we have to address the problem on Karaf 2.2.x (so OSGi r4.2).

I have no problem to have two different approaches: one "subsystems
oriented" for the trunk, one "features oriented" for the 2.2.x branch.

Another solution is to not handle this issue on 2.2.x branch and focus
on trunk.
But it means that we need a bunch of time to stabilize Karaf 3.0.

I wonder if creating a Karaf 2.3 branch could not have sense. It will
give community new releases including new fixes, etc, and give us more
time to stabilize Karaf 3.0.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi David,

> 1.  I've been watching with increasing concern the attempts to push config admin changes back into cfg files.  I don't understand why we would want to duplicate config admin persistence.  I don't understand why we would want to change the behavior of a clean start so dramatically.  I think all extra uses of .cfg files other than as one possible way of installing an initial configuration into config admin are a bad idea.  So I think this one is too.  I hope someone can explain the thinking behind this recent activity.  -1.
We have to leverage the existing. If <configfile/>, config shell
commands, and MBeans update the cfg files, we should be consistent for
<config/> tag.
We already planned to use ConfigAdmin persistence on trunk (Karaf 3) by
using a Config service.

> 2. I think this is a really good idea, but I'd prefer it if we could rearrange stuff after getting trunk up to osgi 4.3.  I've been working off a patch karaf for several months now waiting for jb to upgrade to 4.3 (I have a local upgrade but id doesn't work with felix and not all integration tests pass) and I'm worried about losing changes I've made.
Agree. If you take a look on KARAF-855, I submitted a patch to update to
OSGi 4.3. Guillaume provided another one. I'm gonna merge both to test
and validate the whole Karaf behavior.

> 3. Sure, no problem, I left it out of bootFeatures in the new style assemblies only because it wasn't there in the old one.  However I think we also need to bring back the "full" feature, see my -1 of rev 1181815 (oct 24) that removed the full kar.
I'm not sure for the full feature. I think framework and standard
features are enough.
I don't want to have a lot of distributions.

> 4. I'm not too sure about this.  I think the idea of a feature repository is something we should be moving away from in favor of individual features as artifacts in an obr.
Agree, it's the purpose of Cave. Cave will bring features and KARs
repository.

Regards
JB

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
+1 for point 1. This is mandatory and also an incredible feature which
is not well documented and not know by a lot of user <config/> and
<configfile/> except  from us and karaf features file for http/war
+1 for point 2 but be carefull as suggested Ioannis
+1 for point 3. That will question users about what is kar, what can
we do with KAR, what is the added value of KAR instead of packaging
everything in a ZIP ;-)