Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2007/10/09 18:59:51 UTC

jvm crash in OnlineBackupTest4.sql with jdk 1.5?

Hi,

Now that the failures in suites.All for windows/vista are fixed (Thx
Knut Anders!) I noticed that there's been a failure reported - almost
every day - in store/OnlineBackupTest4.sql with jdk 1.5, mostly for
linux but also on other operating systems...

I did some clicking on histories, and it seems this first occurred on
9/21/2007.

And it looks like the jvm plays possum?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

See: http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/Daily/jvm1.5/testing/testlog/lin/578187-derbyall_diff.txt
and the most recent one:
http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/Daily/jvm1.5/testing/Limited/testSummary-582856.html

Myrna

Re: jvm crash in OnlineBackupTest4.sql with jdk 1.5?

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/07, Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@sun.com> wrote:
> Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM> writes:
>
> > Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Now that the failures in suites.All for windows/vista are fixed (Thx
> >> Knut Anders!) I noticed that there's been a failure reported - almost
> >> every day - in store/OnlineBackupTest4.sql with jdk 1.5, mostly for
> >> linux but also on other operating systems...
> >>
> >> I did some clicking on histories, and it seems this first occurred on
> >> 9/21/2007.
> >>
> >> And it looks like the jvm plays possum?
> >
> > Hi Myrna,
> >
> > Yes, I think this is a JVM problem. It seems like the first failure
> > coincides with the JRE on the test machines being updated from
> > 1.5.0_07-b03 to 1.5.0_12-b04. I'll take a look at it and see if I can
> > reproduce it. I'll also test it with the newest 1.5.0 release (1.5.0_13,
> > I think) and file a bug report against the JVM if it still fails.
>
> I managed to reproduce it on both 1.5.0_12 and 1.5.0_13 on Linux. Looks
> like HotSpot fails when it's optimizing some of the methods in
> LockControl. The good news is that it has already been logged and is
> supposed to be fixed in the next update release (1.5.0_14).
>
> http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6519085
>
> --
> Knut Anders

Thx for the analysis & info!