Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sander Smeenk <ss...@freshdot.net> on 2007/05/29 21:12:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 + Logging partial requests

Hello!

I'm a happy Apache 2.2.3 user, everything is working just fine, except
for this oddity which i'd like to see explained if possible ;-)

I recently hosted a large patch to a popular MMORPG on my blog, and as
expected, i got tons of hits on it. Curious as i am, i started
investigating what / where / who these hits came from and found this in
my logs (only showing HTTP Status and Bytes Transferred):

 200 268939916
 206 5825969
 206 11646796
 206 228617796
 206 107575967
 206 68177222
 206 227867859
 206 173765305
 206 164469689
 206 167575428
 206 170672939
 206 173799865
(All hits from one unique IP)

Aparently this visitor transferred a total of 1.768.934.751 bytes. The
patch is ~300MB, but my traffic stats and graphs do not reflect this. As
it turns out, Apache logs the bytes transferred for partial requests as
if each and every byte from the position it started from was transferred
to the visitor.

I tried this myself by wget'ing a large file from my server and
continously interrupting it before wget -c'ing it again, and it gave me
the same results in the logs.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why this is. The process handling the request
should be aware of when it started transferring and when it stopped
transferring, right?

Can anyone shed a light? :)

Kind regards,
Sander.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 + Logging partial requests

Posted by Sander Smeenk <ss...@freshdot.net>.
Quoting Joshua Slive (joshua@slive.ca):

> See:
> http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Logs/Response_Size

Nice. Thanks.

% apache2 -l | grep logio
  mod_logio.c

Will work on that then, thanks alot!

Regards,
Sander.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/29/07, Sander Smeenk <ss...@freshdot.net> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm a happy Apache 2.2.3 user, everything is working just fine, except
> for this oddity which i'd like to see explained if possible ;-)
>
> I recently hosted a large patch to a popular MMORPG on my blog, and as
> expected, i got tons of hits on it. Curious as i am, i started
> investigating what / where / who these hits came from and found this in
> my logs (only showing HTTP Status and Bytes Transferred):
>
>  200 268939916
>  206 5825969
>  206 11646796

See: