Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2020/01/30 19:52:49 UTC

Shooting oneself in the foot by merging master-v2 into master

Hi,

so you might remember that I have advertised that we make bugfixes in master-v2 and then just merge master-v2 into master at regular intervals to bring these fixes also into V3.

Yesterday, I shot myself in the foot which this approach quite a bit...

I fixed two issues in uimaFIT master-v2 and then set up a pull-request to merge master-v2 into master.

So far so good. Normally, I don't do this with a PR because I simply use my admin permissions to locally merge the "maintenance" branch into the "master" branch and then push master - but I can't do that on uimaFIT because master is a protected branch requiring PRs and I don't have admin rights because INFRA doesn't yield admin permissions on the ASF repos.

... anyway ...

So I had a PR master-v2 -> master... but there was a small conflict between the two branches that I had to resolve.

I used the GitHub web interface to resolve the conflict - nice ;)

BUT then I noticed that doing this caused GitHub to merge master into master-v2 - now THAT shouldn't have happened.

"Fortunately", master-v2 hadn't yet been protected when this happened, so I deleted master-v2 and re-created it - I had just shortly before created it anyway.

But still, it had some side effects, e.g. that some PRs that were already targeting master-v2 were auto-closed by GitHub and I had to re-create these pull requests.

So lesson learned is:

  NEVER EVER set up a PR from master-v2 to master
  (or from any protected branch to any other protected branch for that matter)

... even if that's what you would like to do - better create a new branch off master-v2 (e.g. "sync-master-v2-with-master") and then do a PR with that one.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: Shooting oneself in the foot by merging master-v2 into master

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Good advice.  We should update the uima website GIT pages with the summary of
these bits of wisdom :-)  -Marshall