Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> on 2012/11/06 13:12:16 UTC

Re: Issue with maven archetypes - jetty plugin version 8 not refreshing JSPs

2012/10/31 Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>

> Hey Lukasz,
>
> Does your jetty configuration match the ones I provided? More
> specifically, did you remove the  <scanTargets> element? With
> scanTargets you will see the JSP changes, but only after the automatic
> container reload (so, worse case scenario in 10 seconds, as defined in
> the <scanIntervalSeconds> element.
>
> If you remove scanTargets, the page will not be refreshed on JSP change
> in jetty 8 but will be refreshed in jetty 6! And reloading the entire
> container for every JSP change seems like an overkill (and slows down
> development process considerably when your webapp has session variables
> and security).
>
> Could you try the configuration without <scanTargets> for jetty 6 and 8?

Yes, I did that and even committed the change [1], there was no Jetty
restarts when I've been changing jsp file.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3916

Regards
--
Ɓukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Issue with maven archetypes - jetty plugin version 8 not refreshing JSPs

Posted by Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>.
A follow-up on this. I was able to identify the root cause of this
issue. While this is a bit specific to our use case, I share this with
the community nonetheless.

This was basically caused by the timestamps of the files. My work
directory is an NFS mount of another server. For some strange reason*
the clock on that server is delayed. This means that if it's 9:00 and I
change the JSP file, the file will be timestamped with 8:40.

There might have been a change in Jetty from 6 to 8 regarding the
strategy used for JSP file reloading - while Jetty 6 does not seem to
care about the file's timestamp and refreshes anyway, Jetty 8 is more
sensitive and does not reload the file.

So the "solution" here was simply to update the remote NFS server's
clock. Why the NTP-aware server is having trouble with the time is
another issue...

Miguel Almeida