Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ben Stover <bx...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2010/12/19 11:38:26 UTC

Merge local pom.xml with remote master pom.xml

Assume I use a local pom.xml which includes/access a remote master pom.xml

Now I want to take the full project and continue to  develop it on my home computer.
unfortuantely I have to access at home onto the remote computer with the master pom.xml.

So I must at first merge the local pom.xml with the master pom.xml at the university.
Then I can take it with me and have the full pom.xml available at home.

How do I merge from cmdline the local pom.xml with a remote master pom.xml in detail?

Does this pom merging work as well with MULTIPLE master pom.xml's or even cascading master pom.xml's ?

Ben

Re: Merge local pom.xml with remote master pom.xml

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Ben Stover <bx...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Assume I use a local pom.xml which includes/access a remote master pom.xml

Do you mean that your project has a <parent> pom that is available in
a remote repository?

> Now I want to take the full project and continue to  develop it on my home computer.
> unfortuantely I have to access at home onto the remote computer with the master pom.xml.

I assume you mean "have _no_ access".  If you try to build at home, do
you get an error about it not being able to find the parent/master
pom?

> So I must at first merge the local pom.xml with the master pom.xml at the university.
> Then I can take it with me and have the full pom.xml available at home.

No... just take the master pom home with you along with your own
project.  If you're able to build at school, the pom will be in your
local repository and you can copy it from there.

At home, put the master pom in your local repository with "mvn
install:install-file ..." and then your project build should work as
usual.

Merging poms is not something that's usually done.

--
Wendy