Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com> on 2010/04/27 01:55:44 UTC

ZooKeeper gets three Google Summer of Code students

Hi -

Just wanted to announce to the community that we are lucky to have three
talented students working on Google's Summer of Code projects directly
related to ZooKeeper.

Andrei Savu  will be working with Patrick Hunt on a Web-based Administrative
Interface, extending and improving Patrick's Django-based front end.
Abmar Barros will be working with Flavio Junqueira on improving ZooKeeper's
failure detector module - making the code cleaner and easier to try out new
implementations, as well as implementing a few failure detection algorithms
himself!
Finally, Sergey Doroshenko will be working with me on a Read-Only Mode for
ZooKeeper, which will help bolster ZK's availability in certain
circumstances when a network partition is detected, as well as potentially
optimising the read-path.

(The full list of 450 GSoC students is here:
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/list_projects/google/gsoc2010)

Congratulations to all three - we look forward to seeing what you produce
over the summer. Thanks to everyone who applied, suggested projects and
offered to mentor students; this program will have a big effect on
ZooKeeper's visibility and community, as well as hopefully producing some
great code!

cheers,
Henry

--
Henry Robinson
Software Engineer

Re: ZooKeeper gets three Google Summer of Code students

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
3 GSOC projects approved, that's great! Thank you students for applying for
a project, should be some interesting new functionality/features developed
over the summer. Thanks to all the mentors for stepping up and volunteering
their time and Henry for shepherding the gsoc process (as well as being a
mentor).

I encourage our user base to engage with the students if they have interest
in a particular project. If you have ideas, problems, or suggestions for
features please discuss with the student (on the list is great). Exposing
the mentees to how ZK based software is used in real life production
environments will allow them to build a better product.

Regards,

Patrick

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.