Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org> on 2018/11/05 22:37:30 UTC

moving to git !?

Hello all,

We had the discussion 1 year ago to move to git. For me it was a clear
vote for this move. However nothing happened when we released 4.1.4.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4db20d193cc30850e63dc03378a20462d1e5c113e566fffd6c776d1c@%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E

It was somewhat unlucky. We should start to prepare the move. I think it
is okay to do this now. After that we should start with 4.1.7 release
and 4.2.0 release preparations.

We can also start the uno split if Damjan is still in this idea.

Also we need to check on the pull workflow with infra. Any volunteers to
do this?

Any Concerns with this initiative?

Re: moving to git !?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Patricia,

Am 06.11.18 um 06:16 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> I am going to have to learn git. No big deal - revision control
> systems go out of fashion every few years and it becomes time to learn
> a currently fashionable one.
>
> Can you recommend a book or tutorial? I've used RCS and SCCS as well
> as, obviously, Subversion.

Maybe this is a good reference?

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: moving to git !?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
One difference which we may want to consider.

With SVN you can checkout parts of the repository, but with GIT you get the whole thing.

We may want to be careful and split things up like for example the 3rd party archives.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Re: moving to git !?