Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Meir Yanovich <me...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/30 10:40:26 UTC

[users@httpd] how to configure apache+ssl+mod_jk+tomcat

Hello all
im having problem on configuring apache 2.2 forward ssl requests to tomcat
im using basic configuration that i collected on the web ( mostly
using old apache )
im can use ssl on the apache htdocs . but i can't make it forward to
the tomcat .
by the way with no ssl the http forwarding to tomcat works fine .
here is my configuration :
in the http-ssl.conf  i have the standard configuration i didn't
change any thing beside
SSLCertificateKeyFile and the SSLCertificateFile to the proper files
and the mod_jk conf in the httpd.conf looks like this :

#*****************************************************
# Load mod_jk module
# Update this path to match your modules location
LoadModule    jk_module  modules/mod_jk.so

# The workers that jk should create and work with
# Define 1 real worker using ajp13
JkWorkerProperty worker.list=Tomcat01

 JkWorkerProperty worker.Tomcat01.type=ajp13
JkWorkerProperty worker.Tomcat01.host=app1
JkWorkerProperty worker.Tomcat01.port=48333

# Should mod_jk send SSL information to Tomcat (default is On)
JkExtractSSL off
# What is the indicator for SSL (default is HTTPS)
JkHTTPSIndicator HTTPS
# What is the indicator for SSL session (default is SSL_SESSION_ID)
JkSESSIONIndicator SSL_SESSION_ID
# What is the indicator for client SSL cipher suit (default is SSL_CIPHER)
JkCIPHERIndicator SSL_CIPHER
# What is the indicator for the client SSL certificated (default is
SSL_CLIENT_CERT)
JkCERTSIndicator SSL_CLIENT_CERT

# JkOptions indicate to send SSL KEY SIZE,
JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat -ForwardDirectories
# Where to put jk logs
# Update this path to match your logs directory location (put
mod_jk.log next to access_log)
JkLogFile     logs/mod_jk.log

# Set the jk log level [debug/error/info]
JkLogLevel   debug

# Select the timestamp log format

# Set the request log format
JkRequestLogFormat     "%w %V %T %b %H %s %m %U %q"

# Send everything for context /examples to worker named worker1 (ajp13)
JkMount /* Tomcat01

# Serve html, jpg and gif using httpd
  JkUnMount /*.html ajp13
  JkUnMount /*.jpg  ajp13
  JkUnMount /*.gif  ajp13

only when i browse to the port that is in the Listen 8000 the
forwarding to tomcat works but this is not ssl as i need
what im doing wrong here ? can it be done ?
thanks

Re: [users@httpd] how to configure apache+ssl+mod_jk+tomcat

Posted by Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Meir Yanovich <me...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi thanks for the fast reply , i did what you said , and moved the
> JkMount configuration
> to be under the <VirtualHost _default_:443> in http-ssl.conf.
> and it does work .
> i will never could guess that . part of the mod_jk config is in the
> http.conf and other part in the http-ssl.conf.

Glad that it helped.
You could have it just outside of any <VirtualServer> definition and
it'll work for all of them.

> ok i have another question now i all of my jsp application is secured
> with ssl , what if i like
> to secure only parts of the application for example
> only this 3 directories only and the rest will be not secured
> d:/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/ThisSecureDir1/
> d:/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/ThisSecureDir2/
> d:/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/ThisSecureDir3/

Then define separate Mount definitions. You can even have different
workers defined for different Tomcat instances and point different
mounts to different workers.

> Thanks Again
>

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It sounds like you have an HTTP virtual server configured on port 8000
>> and HTTPS virtual server  configured on port 443. Most probably your
>> mod_jk commands are defined in the scope of HTPP server and aren't
>> active on the scope of HTTPS server. Try to move/duplicate them in the
>> http-ssl.conf inside the VirtualServer definition or make sure that
>> they are diefined in the global scope, not HTTP virtual server scope.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Meir Yanovich <me...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> it looks like this : ( i changed it from the default 8009 )
>>>
>>>  <Connector port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>>>               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>>>               enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
>>>               acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
>>>                           keystoreFile="D:/tomcat/conf/keystore" keystorePass="password"  />
>>>
>>>        <Connector port="48333"
>>>            enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3"
>>>                        secure="true" connectionTimeout="0" threadPriority="5"
>>>                        connectionUploadTimeout="0" connectionLinger="0"
>>>                        maxSpareThreads="50" maxThreads="200"
>>>                        maxKeepAliveRequests="100" disableUploadTimeout="false"
>>>                        uRIEncoding="null" tcpNoDelay="false" minSpareThreads="4"
>>>                        acceptCount="60000" />

>> --
>> Serge Dubrouski.

Serge Dubrouski.

Re: [users@httpd] how to configure apache+ssl+mod_jk+tomcat

Posted by Meir Yanovich <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>>> # Where to put jk logs
>>> # Update this path to match your logs directory location (put
>>> mod_jk.log next to access_log)
>>> JkLogFile     logs/mod_jk.log
>>>
>>> # Set the jk log level [debug/error/info]
>>> JkLogLevel   debug
>>>
>>> # Select the timestamp log format
>>> JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y] "
>>>
>>> # Set the request log format
>>> JkRequestLogFormat     "%w %V %T %b %H %s %m %U %q"
>>>
>>> # Send everything for context /examples to worker named worker1 (ajp13)
>>> JkMount /* Tomcat01
>>>
>>> # Serve html, jpg and gif using httpd
>>>  JkUnMount /*.html ajp13
>>>  JkUnMount /*.jpg  ajp13
>>>  JkUnMount /*.gif  ajp13
>>>

>>> only when i browse to the port that is in the Listen 8000 the
>>> forwarding to tomcat works but this is not ssl as i need
>>> what im doing wrong here ? can it be done ?

Serge Dubrouski.

Re: [users@httpd] how to configure apache+ssl+mod_jk+tomcat

Posted by Meir Yanovich <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com>.
How does your Tomcat's server.xml file looks like? Does it have an AJP
listener on port 48333 like you configured in workers file?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Meir Yanovich <me...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all
> im having problem on configuring apache 2.2 forward ssl requests to tomcat
> im using basic configuration that i collected on the web ( mostly
> using old apache )
> im can use ssl on the apache htdocs . but i can't make it forward to
> the tomcat .
> by the way with no ssl the http forwarding to tomcat works fine .
> here is my configuration :
> in the http-ssl.conf  i have the standard configuration i didn't
> change any thing beside
> SSLCertificateKeyFile and the SSLCertificateFile to the proper files
> and the mod_jk conf in the httpd.conf looks like this :
>
> #*****************************************************
> # Load mod_jk module
> # Update this path to match your modules location
> LoadModule    jk_module  modules/mod_jk.so
>
> # The workers that jk should create and work with
> # Define 1 real worker using ajp13
> JkWorkerProperty worker.list=Tomcat01
>
>  JkWorkerProperty worker.Tomcat01.type=ajp13
> JkWorkerProperty worker.Tomcat01.host=app1
> JkWorkerProperty worker.Tomcat01.port=48333
>
> # Should mod_jk send SSL information to Tomcat (default is On)
> JkExtractSSL off
> # What is the indicator for SSL (default is HTTPS)
> JkHTTPSIndicator HTTPS
> # What is the indicator for SSL session (default is SSL_SESSION_ID)
> JkSESSIONIndicator SSL_SESSION_ID
> # What is the indicator for client SSL cipher suit (default is SSL_CIPHER)
> JkCIPHERIndicator SSL_CIPHER
> # What is the indicator for the client SSL certificated (default is
> SSL_CLIENT_CERT)
> JkCERTSIndicator SSL_CLIENT_CERT
>
> # JkOptions indicate to send SSL KEY SIZE,
> JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat -ForwardDirectories
> # Where to put jk logs
> # Update this path to match your logs directory location (put
> mod_jk.log next to access_log)
> JkLogFile     logs/mod_jk.log
>
> # Set the jk log level [debug/error/info]
> JkLogLevel   debug
>
> # Select the timestamp log format
> JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y] "
>
> # Set the request log format
> JkRequestLogFormat     "%w %V %T %b %H %s %m %U %q"
>
> # Send everything for context /examples to worker named worker1 (ajp13)
> JkMount /* Tomcat01
>
> # Serve html, jpg and gif using httpd
>  JkUnMount /*.html ajp13
>  JkUnMount /*.jpg  ajp13
>  JkUnMount /*.gif  ajp13
>

> only when i browse to the port that is in the Listen 8000 the
> forwarding to tomcat works but this is not ssl as i need
> what im doing wrong here ? can it be done ?
> thanks

Serge Dubrouski.

RE: [users@httpd] how to configure apache+ssl+mod_jk+tomcat

Posted by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com>.
Have you configured the Tomcat AJP connector in the same port (48333)?
Tomcat has it configured in port 8009 by default.