Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Nestor Urquiza <ne...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/22 22:31:38 UTC

etc/init.d/couchdb stop does not stop the 1.2.0 server built from sources

Hello guys,

I have seen this issue in the archives for different version so I am
bringing it once again. Apologies if I missed something in which case
a link would be appreciated.

As the subject says at this moment we are unable to stop couchdb from
the startup script. Anybody has any idea on how to further
troubleshoot this problem?

1. See below. The server won't really stop:

dev@udesktop2:/opt/tomcat$ sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/couchdb stop
 * Stopping database server couchdb
                                     [ OK ]
dev@udesktop2:/opt/tomcat$ sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/couchdb status
Apache CouchDB is not running.
dev@udesktop2:/opt/tomcat$ curl -k https://localhost:6984
{"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"1.2.0"}
dev@udesktop2:/opt/tomcat$

2. Below is the output of the script in debug mode:

dev@udesktop2:/opt/tomcat$ sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/couchdb stop
+ SCRIPT_OK=0
+ SCRIPT_ERROR=1
+ DESCRIPTION=database server
+ NAME=couchdb
+ basename /usr/local/etc/init.d/couchdb
+ SCRIPT_NAME=couchdb
+ COUCHDB=/usr/local/bin/couchdb
+ CONFIGURATION_FILE=/usr/local/etc/default/couchdb
+ RUN_DIR=/usr/local/var/run/couchdb
+ LSB_LIBRARY=/lib/lsb/init-functions
+ test ! -x /usr/local/bin/couchdb
+ test -r /usr/local/etc/default/couchdb
+ . /usr/local/etc/default/couchdb
+ COUCHDB_USER=couchdb
+ COUCHDB_STDOUT_FILE=/dev/null
+ COUCHDB_STDERR_FILE=/dev/null
+ COUCHDB_RESPAWN_TIMEOUT=5
+ COUCHDB_OPTIONS=
+ test -r /lib/lsb/init-functions
+ . /lib/lsb/init-functions
+ FANCYTTY=
+ [ -e /etc/lsb-base-logging.sh ]
+ . /etc/lsb-base-logging.sh
+ LOG_DAEMON_MSG=
+ parse_script_option_list stop
+ log_daemon_msg Stopping database server couchdb
+ [ -z Stopping database server ]
+ log_use_fancy_output
+ TPUT=/usr/bin/tput
+ EXPR=/usr/bin/expr
+ [ -t 1 ]
+ [ xxterm-256color != x ]
+ [ xxterm-256color != xdumb ]
+ [ -x /usr/bin/tput ]
+ [ -x /usr/bin/expr ]
+ /usr/bin/tput hpa 60
+ /usr/bin/tput setaf 1
+ [ -z ]
+ FANCYTTY=1
+ true
+ /usr/bin/tput xenl
+ /usr/bin/tput cols
+ COLS=115
+ [ 115 ]
+ [ 115 -gt 6 ]
+ /usr/bin/expr 115 - 7
+ COL=108
+ log_use_plymouth
+ [ n = y ]
+ plymouth --ping
+ printf  * Stopping database server couchdb
 * Stopping database server couchdb       + /usr/bin/expr 115 - 1
+ /usr/bin/tput hpa 114

                                           + printf
 + stop_couchdb
+ run_command /usr/local/bin/couchdb -d
+ command=/usr/local/bin/couchdb -d
+ test -n
+ test -n couchdb
+ su couchdb -c /usr/local/bin/couchdb -d
+ return 0
+ log_end_msg 0
+ [ -z 0 ]
+ [ 108 ]
+ [ -x /usr/bin/tput ]
+ log_use_plymouth
+ [ n = y ]
+ plymouth --ping
+ printf \r
+ /usr/bin/tput hpa 108

                                     + [ 0 -eq 0 ]
+ echo [ OK ]
[ OK ]
+ return 0

3. We have tested the same behavior in a couple of servers:

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"

Thanks!
- Nestor