Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Telmo Costa <te...@ef.pt> on 2008/04/24 16:00:15 UTC

About OGNL multi-threading contention

Hello,

We've been testing an application in a production environment and found a
serious contention problem when the number of simultaneous requests grows.
The problem seems to be related with the use of static synchronized blocks
in OGNL code.

I've found a related issue in OGNL
(http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/OGNL-141) that is already fixed in
version 2.7.2. But, another related issue
(http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/OGNL-10) is still open, although it
already has a patch.

Does anyone know when Struts2 team is upgrading the OGNL version? Currently
struts2 uses OGNL version 2.6.10.

This is a very important issue for my project, as it receives millions of
requests per day.

Greetings,

Telmo Costa

cid:image001.jpg@01C7FEB5.16BC8DE0

EF - Tecnologias de Software, S.A.

Portugal

Re: About OGNL multi-threading contention

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Darren James wrote:
> actually struts is currently using ongl 2.6.11 correct? In fact the
> problem that you reference
> here http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/OGNL-141, seems to indicate
> it was the 2.6.11
> version of the OGNL jar that introduced the problem. Can someone verify?
>
> I would second the idea that "this is a very important issue for my
> project".
> Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to raise this issue, but I
> desperately need a patch.
>
> Does anyone know if downgrading to OGNL-2.6.10 would solve the
> problem? Looking
> at the sources the synchronization on the method object in the
> OgnlRuntime.invokeMethod
> seems to be the only difference between the two versions...
>
> thanks,

OGN-2.6.10 appears to be run-time compatible with Struts 2.1.1
(evaluated by manual drop-in and test in my own project).
The release notes of 2.6.11 state that the only issue fixed with the
race condition in OgnlRuntime.invokeMethod; the fix that subsequently
introduced the contention issue.
Falling back to 2.6.10 carries risk but is plausible if your project is
more affected by the contention issue than race condition.

Issues addressed by release:
http://jira.opensymphony.com/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10090&subset=-1

Re: About OGNL multi-threading contention

Posted by Darren James <jd...@netflix.com>.
actually struts is currently using ongl 2.6.11 correct? In fact the
problem that you reference
here http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/OGNL-141, seems to indicate it
was the 2.6.11
version of the OGNL jar that introduced the problem. Can someone verify?

I would second the idea that "this is a very important issue for my
project".
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to raise this issue, but I
desperately need a patch.

Does anyone know if downgrading to OGNL-2.6.10 would solve the problem?
Looking
at the sources the synchronization on the method object in the
OgnlRuntime.invokeMethod
seems to be the only difference between the two versions...

thanks,

- darren