Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de> on 2001/06/08 10:03:28 UTC

[C2]: Preparing the next releases

Hi,

wow - we did a beta 1 release and all of us survived...
I promise that the next release of C2 will be with less
problems.

To keep on this great project, I think we should make
a simple plan for the next beta and the release:

We should collect the things to be done for the release and
try to make most of it into the beta 2.

So what should be done?

Apart from more documentation and bug fixes I would propose
the following changes/additions:

- Add all changes to changes.xml so that everyone can see
  what has changed since the beta1.
- Remove the X/CIncludeSAXConnector and use the corresponding
  transformers instead.
- Add an example for a SAXConnector (I am currently working
  on a LoggingSAXConnector)
- Decide if we want the cocoon: context in 2.0 or 2.1 (The
  introduction *could* change some interfaces)

As it seems that there is not so much to do, I would propose
a date in the middle of July as a release date for the beta 2.

I think we should keep the 2.1 and the 2.0 branch in sync
until the final release of 2.0. So we could avoid the
joining of the branches upto that point.

Should we start bugzilla for bug reports?

Other points? Suggestions? Comments?

Carsten

Re: [C2]: Preparing the next releases

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Giacomo Pati a écrit :

<snip/>

> I have still the proposal and samples from Michael Homeijer concerning C2 act as
> a SOAP client and server which is something that is really interesting to me. As
> it is nothing that would change interfaces I'd like to integrate it into 2.0.
> Any comments about it?
>
> Giacomo

I'd love SOAPing with Cocoon. However, I wonder about the development
process and the 2.0 final schedule : there's a risk here of 2.0 final to
be delayed because of feature additions.

Several questions :
- shouldn't new features be part of 2.1, even it they don't require an
interface change ?
- shouldn't the 2.0 branch be reserved for docs and bug fixes ?
- what event will cause the 2.0 to be considered final ?

--
Sylvain Wallez

AW: [C2]: Preparing the next releases

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Great!

> > - Remove the X/CIncludeSAXConnector and use the corresponding
> >   transformers instead.
> > - Add an example for a SAXConnector (I am currently working
> >   on a LoggingSAXConnector)
>
> Not sure what it's worth for. Do you know the LogTransformer?
Yes, the LogTransformer logs all events between two sitemap components.
The LoggingSAXConnector will log the events between all sitemap components
in a pipeline. For example, if you have G->T->S it will log the events
between G->T and T->S.
The great advantage of using the SAXConnector concept is that you don't
have to change the sitemap for debugging your pipelines. You just choose
the appropriate SAXConnector and the debugging/logging happens *magically*.

> > - Decide if we want the cocoon: context in 2.0 or 2.1 (The
> >   introduction *could* change some interfaces)
>
> We had it half way working with the X/CIncludeSAXConnectors so I'd like to
see
> it in 2.0 rather than 2.1, therefor +1 for 2.0
>
> > As it seems that there is not so much to do, I would propose
> > a date in the middle of July as a release date for the beta 2.
>
> +1
>
> > I think we should keep the 2.1 and the 2.0 branch in sync
> > until the final release of 2.0. So we could avoid the
> > joining of the branches upto that point.
>
> See my mail about that.

Yes, I have responded to that...

cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org so
> that we should get mails when new bug reports are created (tested right
away,
> lets see if it will show up here)

Great!

> > Other points? Suggestions? Comments?
>
> I have still the proposal and samples from Michael Homeijer concerning C2
act as
> a SOAP client and server which is something that is really interesting to
me. As
> it is nothing that would change interfaces I'd like to integrate it into
2.0.
> Any comments about it?

Why not!

Carsten

AW: AW: [C2]: Preparing the next releases

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.

> get back after my holiday :-)).

Lucky you ;) have nice holidays.
<<
Thanks! Just don't give Carsten too much to do - so that he can get on with
some proper work :-))))))

Matthew

Re: AW: [C2]: Preparing the next releases

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Quoting Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>:

> I have still the proposal and samples from Michael Homeijer concerning
> C2
> act as
> a SOAP client and server which is something that is really interesting
> me. As
> it is nothing that would change interfaces I'd like to integrate it into
> 2.0.
> Any comments about it?
> <<
> +1 for that.
> We would like to see Cocoon become one of _the_ platforms for building
> multi-channel Soap clients.

And also multi agent server so that browsers, wap phones, PDA as well as SOAP
clients can be served from the very same building blocks (Actions, Generators)
and styled accordingly.

> And as we have also been doing some work in
> that
> area :-) we will be getting more involved with the whole thing soon
> (when I
> get back after my holiday :-)).

Lucky you ;) have nice holidays.

> Will we then be including Apache SOAP 2.2 in the Cocoon dist?
> We have also been looking at the new Axis stuff - but again more on that
> in
> a few weeks.

As Axis is the furthcoming SOAP implementation it is worth looking at it.

Giacomo

Re: AW: [C2]: Preparing the next releases

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1 from me for integrating SOAP code+samples into 2.0 itself.

Thanks,
dims
--- Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de> wrote:

> I have still the proposal and samples from Michael Homeijer concerning C2
> act as
> a SOAP client and server which is something that is really interesting to
> me. As
> it is nothing that would change interfaces I'd like to integrate it into
> 2.0.
> Any comments about it?
> <<
> +1 for that.
> We would like to see Cocoon become one of _the_ platforms for building
> multi-channel Soap clients. And as we have also been doing some work in that
> area :-) we will be getting more involved with the whole thing soon (when I
> get back after my holiday :-)).
> Will we then be including Apache SOAP 2.2 in the Cocoon dist?
> We have also been looking at the new Axis stuff - but again more on that in
> a few weeks.
>

> Matthew
> --
> Open Source Group               sunShine - Lighting up e:Business

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager
http://www.jGuru.com/faq/JNI

AW: [C2]: Preparing the next releases

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> wow - we did a beta 1 release and all of us survived...

Nice job!

> - Remove the X/CIncludeSAXConnector and use the corresponding
>   transformers instead.

Sigh. I spent many hours trying to get includes working in my pages,
fixing them many times. If you are going to remove them, please please
please provide good docs about how to use the transformer.

	Thanks in advance,

			Ugo

Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it

AW: [C2]: Preparing the next releases

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@payserv.ch>.
Hi all,

I wrote a kind of LDAPTransformer. The source is sent to Giacomo. It may be
included in C2 (b2 or 2.1) if wanted. As it's my first try I hope it's
useable.

Felix