Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Paul Joseph <pj...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/29 21:22:45 UTC

floating button in CForms

Hi there,

I have a Loooonnnng CForm and the client would like the "Save" button to float so that it is always visible?

Is this possible--any examples?

thx
Paul Joseph
This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of the addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential, or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination, or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return mail and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

Re: floating button in CForms

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
have a look at:
http://reference.sitepoint.com/css/position
http://www.w3schools.com/Css/pr_class_position.asp
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/position.html

 the 'position:fixed' style does not really seem to work with IE...

>>> On 2008/09/01 at 02:15, in message <cb...@mail.gmail.com>, "Paul Joseph" <pj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.  I *think* I understand what you say about the CSS based approach (which is the one I have to use as redesigning the form for the client would be too big a change at present.)

I'd like to confirm one thing though before I buy that book:

>> I'd suggest looking up the 'position:fixed' style.

Do you mean that the "position:fixed" style will keep the button fixed in the visible browser pane, regardless of me scrolling?

rgds
Paul

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 11:44 AM, David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Paul,

I have a Loooonnnng CForm and the client would like the "Save" button to float so that it is always visible?

I should think your best bet would be to use a CSS stylesheet to fix the position of the save button.  You could treat the save button like the contents of a fixed footer at the bottom of the page.  I'd suggest looking up the 'position:fixed' style.  Be warned though that IE 5 and friends doesn't support this, so a work-around has to be done for those.  I'd recommend the sitepoint book: 'The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks' [1] by Rachel Andrew if you are looking for ready made examples.  [I'm not affiliated to this book in any way!].

Another approach might be to break up the form into smaller groups and only show one group at a time.  An example can be found in the Multi-page wizard demo [2]

Hope that helps.
David Legg

[1] http://www.sitepoint.com/books/cssant2/
[2] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/samples/blocks/forms/do-multipage.flow

Re: floating button in CForms

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Hi Paul,

> Do you mean that the "position:fixed" style will keep the button fixed
> in the visible browser pane, regardless of me scrolling?

Yes that's correct.

Actually, there's probably no need to buy the book I mentioned.  After I
wrote that email I typed "position:fixed" into Google and was surprised
how many examples and tutorials came up ;-)

These look interesting...

http://annevankesteren.nl/test/examples/ie/position-fixed.html
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/fixedPosition.html
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/fixed.html