Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "DuBois, Joseph" <Jo...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2004/03/02 00:18:08 UTC

Alternate Presentations

Heylo all,

We are currently using struts (started with 1.0) and are moving to 1.1
and using Tiles. Our managers want us to develop for both the desktop
browser client and the PocketPC browser client (possibly more in the
future).

In our applications we have the same actions, just need separate views
depending on which platform we are on.

In Struts 1.0 we would simply define separate actions for each path, but
was wondering if there is a better way to do this or a "Best Practice"
under struts 1.1 (Tiles).

    <!-- Patient Page for Pocket PC -->
    <action    path="/showPatientPDA"
               type="org.chboston.ShowPatientAction">
    <forward   name="success"
path="/WEB-INF/jsp/PDA/showPatientRx.jsp"/>
    </action>

    <!-- Patient Page for Desktop -->
    <action    path="/showPatient"
               type="org.chboston.ShowPatientAction">
    <forward   name="success"
path="/WEB-INF/jsp/showPatientRx.jsp"/>
    </action>

Initially we were hoping modules would allow us to define them, but we
still needed separate actions. Now in searching the mailing list I saw
reference to Dynamic Tiles, but couldn't find much more. Also currently
we only have the two client platforms, but obviously managers/doctors
love new toys.

Thanks for advice
Joe(new member)