Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/22 18:18:04 UTC

[general] M3 - code frozen

Hi,

According to the plan - Sept. 22 is code freeze date for M3 so let's
follow policy:
"no more commits please without agreement from two committers on the dev list."

Let's do more testing and analyze if there any critical/blocker issues
for consideration.
Please raise here issues that you think MUST be fixed for M3.

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 25 September 2007 at 13:51, "Alexey Petrenko" <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/9/25, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> > Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > > You can remove IDEA for example... :)
> > I thought Mark was looking at that?
> I thought he just gave an idea about IDEA... probably I'm wrong...

You are both right really.  I wasn't working on it but I thought since I
opened the JIRA and suggested a possible solution, people might think I
was ... so this morning I decided not to disappoint anyone and started
looking at it.

Running tests now.

-Mark.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/25, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > 2007/9/25, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> >> I'll be looking at some of the functional, reliability, and stress tests
> >> failures and seeing if there is anything I can help with.  I'll post to
> >> the list for any areas that I pick up.
> > You can remove IDEA for example... :)
> I thought Mark was looking at that?
I thought he just gave an idea about IDEA... probably I'm wrong...

SY, Alexey

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 25 September 2007 at 10:39, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > 2007/9/25, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> >> I'll be looking at some of the functional, reliability, and stress tests
> >> failures and seeing if there is anything I can help with.  I'll post to
> >> the list for any areas that I pick up.
> > You can remove IDEA for example... :)
>
> I thought Mark was looking at that?

I am.  (I'm going to check in the source and compiled versions for a
dummy IDEAEngine class.  Trying to compile it on-the-fly is horrible to
do properly because of bootstrapping problems and would involve quite a
lot of changes.)

It would be useful if someone could add a page to the website that the
exception message can then point to rather than trying to include the
whole story in an exception message.

-Mark.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2007/9/25, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
>> I'll be looking at some of the functional, reliability, and stress tests
>> failures and seeing if there is anything I can help with.  I'll post to
>> the list for any areas that I pick up.
> You can remove IDEA for example... :)

I thought Mark was looking at that?

Tim

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Andrey Yakushev <an...@gmail.com>.
> Thanks for your report. Waiting for real issues analysis.

Analysis details:

9 failures on Windows:
api.kernel.hooks.AddRmPropertiesHooksTest               timeout
api.kernel.thread.ThreadArrayTest.ThreadArrayTest
OutOfMemoryError - regression
api.kernel.threadgroup.EnumerateTest
OutOfMemoryError - regression
api.net.DatagramTest                                    timeout
api.net.HttpConnectionTest                              configuration problem
api.net.SingleConnectTest                               timeout
api.nio.buffers.ByteBufferallocateTest
IllegalArgumentException - regression
api.serialization.SerializableClassesTest               timeout
vm.gc.WeakRefsTest                                      timeout

13 failed on Linux:

api.kernel.exec.RunExec                                 too many files opened
api.kernel.management.SystemResourceOrientedTest        vm crash - SIGSEGV
api.kernel.thread.ThreadArrayTest.ThreadArrayTest       OutOfMemoryError
api.net.DatagramTest                                    timeout
api.net.HttpConnectionTest                              configuration problem
api.net.SingleConnectTest                               address is not
available – busy socket(?)
api.nio.buffers.ByteBufferallocateTest                  IllegalArgumentException
api.nio.channels.filechannel.FileChannelMapTest         timeout
api.nio.channels.filechannel.MappedByteBufferForceTest  vm crash - SIGSEGV
api.serialization.SerializableClassesTest               timeout
vm.finalization.FinalizeThrowRestoreTest                timeout
vm.gc.WeakRefsTest                                      timeout
vm.stack.StackUnwindTest                                SIGABRT in VM code

So it seems we have 3 regressions on Windows. I will check if we have
all these failures submitted as JIRAs.

Thanks,
Andrey

Andrey

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Andrey Yakushev <an...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4810
> >
> > [1] http://people.apache.org/~mloenko/snapshot_testing/script/r578410/index.html
> > [2] http://people.apache.org/~mloenko/snapshot_testing/script/r551077/index.html
> > [3] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/milestones/M2
> > [4] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/harmony-dev/200706.mbox/%3c678b3f320706290508l554079dau6af1a82b17d62b54@mail.gmail.com%3e
> > [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4843
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stepan.
> >

> >> Please feel free to pick up any issue for investigation. For example,
> >> 2 pack200 classlib test failed. Also there is a crash of
> >> org.apache.harmony.security.tests.java.security.cert.serialization.CertificateTest
> >> on Linux x86
> >>
> >> BTW, should we consider BTI's workspace (that we use for M3 testing)

Andrey

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Great - I'm glad that's sorted out.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 9/25/07, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Probably I'd articulate it more clearly :), but there is an issue
> > HARMONY-4844 "[build] Wrong hythr.lib copied to federated build" which
> > affects drlvm-tests run on snapshots. You might noticed strange number
> > of drlvm tests for Windows builds due to this. Not a big deal per se,
> > but it seems we already target new milestone candidate and it would be
> > better to apply this fix too to get correct results for next snapshot.
>
> +1 to commit. The patch looks totally harmless to me.

OK. I'm going to commit it.

-Stepan.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/25, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>:
> Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Probably I'd articulate it more clearly :), but there is an issue
> > HARMONY-4844 "[build] Wrong hythr.lib copied to federated build" which
> > affects drlvm-tests run on snapshots. You might noticed strange number
> > of drlvm tests for Windows builds due to this. Not a big deal per se,
> > but it seems we already target new milestone candidate and it would be
> > better to apply this fix too to get correct results for next snapshot.
>
> +1 to commit. The patch looks totally harmless to me.
+1 for commit. Looks ok for me too.

SY, Alexey

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gregory

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
On 9/26/07, Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/25/07, Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi, Stepan and folks,
> > >
> > > After looking at the testing results in the page given below, I feel
> > > the status of the revisionon X86-64 is quite "good". It is not
> > > perfect, but better than I expected.  I'd suggest we consider to
> > > include X86-64 into our M3 build this time. It's an acceptable
> > > starting baseline, and we can improve it and will see better situation
> > > with M4, M5, etc.
> > >
> > > How do you guys think?
> > >

> > Yes, I agree that it looks quite good. I think it is possible to
> > release it but I think we should be aware about its status (i.e.
> > quality) - it is less tested and results are worse then for x86. If we
> > want to release it then IMHO that all testing results available should
> > be reviewed and summary of existing problems should be created. If
> > there are no blocking issues for x86_64 release then I think it can be
> > released. (Why not?)
> > I assume that most of the folks are looking into x86 failres first..
> > So if you volunteer to review testing results for x86_64 that would be
> > great!
>
> Stepan, my suggestion was to take current status as the starting
> baseline for X86-64. We don't need spend additional time for any
> failures specific to X86-64 this time. In my last email, I mentioned
> that I had checked the "must-pass" tests and thought they are ok. I
> never engaged in a releasing procedure, so I don't know what are
> considered to be "blocking issues", and what kind of summary we need.
> Do you mean the list of failures?

I think that it is probably OK to include X86-64 in M3 with a simple
disclaimer in the release notes about it not being error free and lack
of heap support  > 4GB. Stepan, is there a problem with doing this,
given that we are adding a new platform?

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
On 9/26/07, Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, Stepan and folks,
> >
> > After looking at the testing results in the page given below, I feel
> > the status of the revisionon X86-64 is quite "good". It is not
> > perfect, but better than I expected.  I'd suggest we consider to
> > include X86-64 into our M3 build this time. It's an acceptable
> > starting baseline, and we can improve it and will see better situation
> > with M4, M5, etc.
> >
> > How do you guys think?
> >

> Yes, I agree that it looks quite good. I think it is possible to
> release it but I think we should be aware about its status (i.e.
> quality) - it is less tested and results are worse then for x86. If we
> want to release it then IMHO that all testing results available should
> be reviewed and summary of existing problems should be created. If
> there are no blocking issues for x86_64 release then I think it can be
> released. (Why not?)
> I assume that most of the folks are looking into x86 failres first..
> So if you volunteer to review testing results for x86_64 that would be
> great!

Stepan, my suggestion was to take current status as the starting
baseline for X86-64. We don't need spend additional time for any
failures specific to X86-64 this time. In my last email, I mentioned
that I had checked the "must-pass" tests and thought they are ok. I
never engaged in a releasing procedure, so I don't know what are
considered to be "blocking issues", and what kind of summary we need.
Do you mean the list of failures?

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] x86-64 builds (was: Re: [general] M3 - code frozen)

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
On 9/27/07, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> > If we were to add
> > x86-64 to M3, it would be under disclaimer only( it's a late decision,
> > and it looks relatively good ), we can't claim that that it has the
> > stability of the 32 bit distributions.
>
> Our milestones are taken to be stable builds of our current
> functionality; if the stability has not yet been achieved then I think
> it is fine to keep publishing x86-64 as "snapshot" builds.  Making that
> platform a 'milestone build with disclaimers' just makes the meaning of
> milestones confusing IMHO.
>
> If we are close to achieving x86-64 stability then having a short cycle
> to include it in an M4 might make sense.

Makes sense, it does create some ambiguity between milestone and
snapshot builds. We can try in M4.

Thanks,
Rana

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
On 9/27/07, Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> > > If we were to add
> > > x86-64 to M3, it would be under disclaimer only( it's a late decision,
> > > and it looks relatively good ), we can't claim that that it has the
> > > stability of the 32 bit distributions.
> >

> Yes, the results looks good but I feel that x86-64 platform is far
> from being stable. For example, from my experience the most unstable
> platform is Linux 64bits. I very often have to restart CC or even
> reboot a host to make CC alive.
>
> We may use M3 testing status for x86-64 as baseline for measuring its
> progress and including it to the next release.
> Thanks,
> Stepan.

We should define some stability criteria for the release, so that we
know whether a revision meets or not. So far I don't know what are
"blocking issues" for a stable build.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately I don't have access to a 64 bit Linux at this moment. It
looks like gc completed a major collection successfully and there is
some failure post collection when it is trying to tune heap sizes
based on performance of last collection. Is this a blocking failure? I
don't remember how have we defined blocking failure. If we were to add

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Xiao-Feng,

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Stepan and folks,

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by "Pavlenko, Andrey A" <an...@googlemail.com>.
Here is my evaluation of the func test suite failures.

> functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.api.java.awt.FontMetrics
        Invalid test. HARMONY-4859

functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.api.java.beans.introspector.surveymethods.property
HARMONY-4861. Not a regression, it was failing in M2 too.
> functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.api.java.io.BufferedOutputStream
        Invalid test. HARMONY-4864
> functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.api.java.io.DataOutputStream
            Invalid test. HARMONY-4864
> functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.api.java.net.Socket
    Looks like invalid test. Failed in M2, also fails on RI.
> functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.api.java.nio.channels.fileChannel
        Looks like invalid test. Failed in M2, also fails on RI.

functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.api.java.nio.F_MappedByteBufferTest_01
    Looks like invalid test. Failed in M2, also fails on RI.
> functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.jit.HLO.hvn.Volatile1
        Intermittent. I'm not able to reproduce the failure
> functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.jit.HLO.lazyexc.IO2
    Intermittent. I'm not able to reproduce the failure
> functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.reg.jit.btest5153
    Regression! HARMONY-4866
> functional.org.apache.harmony.test.func.reg.vm.btest6572
    I'm not sure if it's a regression or incorrect test, however I've filed
an issue - HARMONY-4867

So, we have 1 regression - HARMONY-4866 and 1 possible regression -
HARMONY-4867, but I'm not sure about this issue.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by "Pavlenko, Andrey A" <an...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by "Pavlenko, Andrey A" <an...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Eugene Ostrovsky <eu...@gmail.com>.
Stepan,

I've run the failed TPTP test 1000 times on harmony M2 and M3 snapshots:

M2:  35 failures (1000 runs)
M3:  36 failures (1000 runs)

This results prove that:
1. This failure is intermittent (~3.5% failures)
2. This is not a regression relative to M2

The similar results I've got for JDKTools failed test
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.MultiSession.RefTypeIDTest:

M2:  14 failures (1000 runs)
M3:  12 failures (1000 runs)

Thanks,
Eugene.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Eugene Ostrovsky <eu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/24, Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>:
> On 9/22/07, Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > According to the plan - Sept. 22 is code freeze date for M3 so let's
> > follow policy:
> > "no more commits please without agreement from two committers on the dev list."
> >
> > Let's do more testing and analyze if there any critical/blocker issues
> > for consideration.
> > Please raise here issues that you think MUST be fixed for M3.
>
> Here is [1] the status of the last snapshot (r578410) that includes
> last classlib updates. Unfortunately, not everything is green there.
> I'm going to inspect all results to make sure that there are no
> failures caused by CC configuration issues.
>
> Please feel free to pick up any issue for investigation. For example,
> 2 pack200 classlib test failed. Also there is a crash of
> org.apache.harmony.security.tests.java.security.cert.serialization.CertificateTest
> on Linux x86
>
> BTW, should we consider BTI's workspace (that we use for M3 testing)
> frozen too?

Yes, this makes sense. Let's allow in critical patches only as agreed
by 2 committers here. Well, at least for the framework and existing
adaptors - see no harm to add new adaptors.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
>Also there is a crash of
> org.apache.harmony.security.tests.java.security.cert.serialization.CertificateTest
> on Linux x86

I can reproduce this crash too. Moreover, the another test from
security module hangs then I run it both on Linux and Windows:

org.apache.harmony.security.tests.asn1.der.DerUTCTimeEDTest

Thanks,
Alexei

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
I will take a look at the pack200 tests.  They all pass on my local machine
so it will need some investigation, but I don't think this is necessarily a
blocking issue for M3 because pack200 is still a work in progress.

Thanks,

Sian

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 10/1/07, Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/10/1, Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > There are several fixes to be included to M3 release so I'm going to
> > launch today next snapshot building and testing. Please let me know if
> > you know not committed updates/fixes for the next release candidate.
>
> Please consider applying the quickfix for (HARMONY-4184)
> [classlib][security]DefaultPolicy fails to grant Permissions according
> to policy file to classes in extension directory. It might be a
> blocker for some security-related scenarious.

+1 for commiting.

-Stepan.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Added link to HARMONY-4844 [build] Wrong hythr.lib copied to federated build,
it blocks snapshot testing.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 24 September 2007 at 11:46, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe we should just replace the IDEAEngine.class with a dummy class
>> that generates not implemented exceptions and reports how to get the
>> real version.
>
> Looks like someone else had a similar idea (pun intended, sorry ;-):
>
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-880

Makes sense to me as the least intrusive change, and an opportunity to
inform users about how to get the IDEA algorithm if they want to use it.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 9/22/07, Stepan Mishura wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> According to the plan - Sept. 22 is code freeze date for M3 so let's
>> follow policy:
>> "no more commits please without agreement from two committers on the dev list."
>>
>> Let's do more testing and analyze if there any critical/blocker issues
>> for consideration.
>> Please raise here issues that you think MUST be fixed for M3.
>
> Sorry, for late notification - I built  and uploaded new M3 release
> candidate (r579330).
> Testing results will be available soon at:
> http://people.apache.org/~mloenko/snapshot_testing/script/r579330/index.html

Thanks Stepan.  Please let us know (on a new thread) when it is done.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [general] M3 - code frozen

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.