Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Manuel Darveau <ma...@yahoo.ca> on 2004/05/18 22:07:06 UTC

dependencies

Hi!

I probably have missed something somewhere but dont
dependencies should be by project-version instead of
only by project?

I mean, is the project ABC-1.0 could have a dependency
on XXX-1.0 and ABC-2.0 a dependency on XXX-1.5 and
YYY-2.0.

How does the build system handle this?

Suppose that I tag my version on CVS with VERSION_M_m.
I can have an old version tagged VERSION_1_0 and newer
one tagged VERSION_2_0.
If I ask to build a project with the CVS tag
VERSION_1_0, does maven checkout the project.xml
tagged as VERSION_1_0 and resolve dependencies with
that version (1.0) of the project.xml?

Since version 1.0 and 2.0 does not have the same
depdendencies, it make a big difference on the build.

I may be completely off the track (I am reading maven
doc for 2 days) but please bring me back in the good
direction ;-)

Thank you

Manuel Darveau

Re: dependencies

Posted by Dominik Dahlem <Do...@cs.tcd.ie>.
Hi Manuel,

maven has the notion of a or many repositories which house 3rd party
library jars and additionally jars for your project. Whenever you have a
new version of a component you would deploy the new version of the jar
into the repository and make it available to projects which depend on
them. This process can be automated with a continuous integration tool
such as cruisecontrol. There are pointers in the mailing list how to do
that, if you are interested.
Another way of dealing with inner-project dependencies is to define your
project as a multiproject and let the multiproject goals resolve a
dependency graph and build/install your projects/components in the
appropriate order. Since a project can get easily very complex I would
suggest the use of repositories to keep all versions of your jars.

Hope that helps.
Dominik

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 21:07, Manuel Darveau wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I probably have missed something somewhere but dont
> dependencies should be by project-version instead of
> only by project?
>
> I mean, is the project ABC-1.0 could have a dependency
> on XXX-1.0 and ABC-2.0 a dependency on XXX-1.5 and
> YYY-2.0.
>
> How does the build system handle this?
>
> Suppose that I tag my version on CVS with VERSION_M_m.
> I can have an old version tagged VERSION_1_0 and newer
> one tagged VERSION_2_0.
> If I ask to build a project with the CVS tag
> VERSION_1_0, does maven checkout the project.xml
> tagged as VERSION_1_0 and resolve dependencies with
> that version (1.0) of the project.xml?
>
> Since version 1.0 and 2.0 does not have the same
> depdendencies, it make a big difference on the build.
>
> I may be completely off the track (I am reading maven
> doc for 2 days) but please bring me back in the good
> direction ;-)
>
> Thank you
>
> Manuel Darveau

Dominik Dahlem <Do...@cs.tcd.ie>