Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jean-Paul Natola <jn...@familycareintl.org> on 2007/08/13 15:48:39 UTC

RE: what happened after 3.1.8?

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, Dan [mailto:Dan.McDonald@austinenergy.com]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 6:40 PM
To: Jean-Paul Natola
Subject: Re: what happend after 3.1.8?

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 18:30 -0400, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is sort of a re-post , as I never saw a reply.
>
> I've tried every single version after 3.1.8 and it fails to work-
>
> It keeps connections open in the FIN_WAIT  state  and never closes them,
> then just  times out everything
>
> I just tried to upgrade to 3.2.1  and got the same result- so ONCE AGAIN
i've
> had to downgrade to 3.1.8
>
> is there a pre-requisite to upgrading above 3.1.8?   is there something
that
> I have to do in order to go beyond 3.1.8?
>
> I run
> FreeBSD 6.2
> CLAMAV
> EXIM 4.67
> SA 3.1.8

>They broke the privilege-dropping code for FreeBSD platforms, and have
>been fighting with perl to fix it.  Most of the discussion is in bug
>5574

>I think they are about done with a fix, but it hasn't been voted on.

Does anyone know if/when this will be fixed?

Re: what happened after 3.1.8?

Posted by Andy Jezierski <aj...@stepan.com>.
Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net> wrote on 08/13/2007 08:09:19 PM:

> Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> > Since its not in the ports tree yet- ( that's how I usually upgrade)

FYI,  3.2.3 is now in the FreeBSD ports tree.

Andy

Re: what happened after 3.1.8?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Since its not in the ports tree yet- ( that's how I usually upgrade)

FWIW: The devs are working on rolling a 3.1.10 release, although it
isn't a rush project at the moment.

 AFAIK, they have all the blocking bugs fixed, and sometime soonish I'd
expect they'll roll a pre-release, have the PMC members test and vote on
it, then release it.

At that point, the FreeBSD ports may pick it up, however I'm not exactly
well versed in the politics of FreeBSD release cycles.

> Do I just fetch the file, unzip it in the   p5-Mail-SpamAssassin  directory,
> and run make deinstall; make reinstall?

there is no deinstall or reinstall make target for the standard SA
tarballs. If you need to uninstall it, you remove the files manually.
(running make uninstall on the same source directory as your OLD sa will
tell you what files to remove)

In the normal tarball system you don't uninstall for upgrades anyway..
you just install again over top of the old one.

That said, I strongly suspect that the FreeBSD ports tree is using very
different install directories than the SA defaults. You'd have to
extensively customize these.

The normal tarball process is:

untar it
run perl MakeFile.pl, possibly passing it options to over-ride the
default install directories
make
make test
(su if not root)