Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/03 17:29:00 UTC

status of OpenOffice logo?

There are some first steps proceding with moving portions of the existng
OpenOffice.org site to Apache. See, for example,

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/download/index.html

This page lacks headers and footers, which brings me to...

I know there's been discussion about the current OpenOffice.org logo

vis a vis trademarks, possible changes due to Apache etc.

But could someone give us an update on this?

Can we use the existing logo without changes (i.e. ref to Apache?) or ???

There seems to be few Apache projects. e.g Buildr, which don't seem to
use the Apache logo, and since there seems to be a consensus to keep
OpenOffice.org at a site openoffice.org, I'm wondering if we can just
proceed with what we ahve in terms of headers for web pages without change.

MzK

"If you can keep your head when all others around you
  are losing theirs - maybe you don't fully understand
  the situation!"
                             -- Unknown

Re: status of OpenOffice logo?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 08/03/2011 06:46 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> Use the logo where?
>>
>> see the link above?
>>

> Oh, that page.  That is just a prototype, right?  We're not linking to
> it from the Podling website, right?

Right, we just play a bit with the file to see how they behave and look
like inside the Apache infrastructure. The biggest difference to the
original pages are now header and footer.

> We need to have a separate discussion if we want to start offering
> downloads of legacy OOo releases from the Apache side.  From the
> website perspective, yes, we want consistent branding.  But we also
> need to make it clear that those are not Apache files and are not
> under the Apache 2.0 license.

My suggestion:
We can create a legacy webpage for non-Apache releases with an own and
static branding as exception. All other webpages can get a new branding
from templates, CSS, etc.

>>> Which headers and footers?  The ones at OO.o that have the Oracle and
>>> the Project Kenai logos and have the statement "Oracle and Java are
>>> registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates"?   I don't
>>> think we will want to keep that page footer unchanged.
>>
>> Of course some things have to be exchanged. But I think Kay means if we can
>> keep the general wording/formulation the same or do we need to change them
>> totally.
>>

> We should also review the privacy policy, the disclaimer, the terms of
> use, etc.  We should probably harmonize with whatever Apache uses.  So
> I don't think anything from the footer other than "This page was last
> modified on..." can be assumed to be reusable as-is.

OK, seems to become a totally new one. ;-)

> The header, however, is wonderful.  I wouldn't change that.
>
> It might be worth starting a thread on "web site design".  Maybe we
> want a redesign for a "re-launch" timed to our first Apache release?
>
> -Rob

Marcus

Re: status of OpenOffice logo?

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 08/03/2011 05:56 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Kay Schenk<ka...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> There are some first steps proceding with moving portions of the existng
>>> OpenOffice.org site to Apache. See, for example,
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/download/index.html
>>>
>>> This page lacks headers and footers, which brings me to...
>>>
>>> I know there's been discussion about the current OpenOffice.org logo
>>>
>>> vis a vis trademarks, possible changes due to Apache etc.
>>>
>>> But could someone give us an update on this?
>>>
>>> Can we use the existing logo without changes (i.e. ref to Apache?) or ???
>>>

>> Use the logo where?
>
> see the link above?

Oh, that page.  That is just a prototype, right?  We're not linking to
it from the Podling website, right?

We need to have a separate discussion if we want to start offering
downloads of legacy OOo releases from the Apache side.  From the
website perspective, yes, we want consistent branding.  But we also
need to make it clear that those are not Apache files and are not
under the Apache 2.0 license.

>>> There seems to be few Apache projects. e.g Buildr, which don't seem to
>>> use
>>> the Apache logo, and since there seems to be a consensus to keep
>>> OpenOffice.org at a site openoffice.org, I'm wondering if we can just
>>> proceed with what we ahve in terms of headers for web pages without
>>> change.
>>>

>> Which headers and footers?  The ones at OO.o that have the Oracle and
>> the Project Kenai logos and have the statement "Oracle and Java are
>> registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates"?   I don't
>> think we will want to keep that page footer unchanged.
>
> Of course some things have to be exchanged. But I think Kay means if we can
> keep the general wording/formulation the same or do we need to change them
> totally.

We should also review the privacy policy, the disclaimer, the terms of
use, etc.  We should probably harmonize with whatever Apache uses.  So
I don't think anything from the footer other than "This page was last
modified on..." can be assumed to be reusable as-is.    The header,

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 08/03/2011 05:56 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Kay Schenk<ka...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> There are some first steps proceding with moving portions of the existng
>> OpenOffice.org site to Apache. See, for example,
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/download/index.html
>>
>> This page lacks headers and footers, which brings me to...
>>
>> I know there's been discussion about the current OpenOffice.org logo
>>
>> vis a vis trademarks, possible changes due to Apache etc.
>>
>> But could someone give us an update on this?
>>
>> Can we use the existing logo without changes (i.e. ref to Apache?) or ???
>>

> Use the logo where?

see the link above?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are some first steps proceding with moving portions of the existng
> > OpenOffice.org site to Apache. See, for example,
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/download/index.html
> >
> > This page lacks headers and footers, which brings me to...
> >
> > I know there's been discussion about the current OpenOffice.org logo
> >
> > vis a vis trademarks, possible changes due to Apache etc.
> >
> > But could someone give us an update on this?
> >
> > Can we use the existing logo without changes (i.e. ref to Apache?) or ???
> >

> Use the logo where?

Rob et al--

On the pages that are currently being migrated/created -- the link I sent
above is essentially the current OO.o download page without headers/
footers.

> > There seems to be few Apache projects. e.g Buildr, which don't seem to
> use
> > the Apache logo, and since there seems to be a consensus to keep
> > OpenOffice.org at a site openoffice.org, I'm wondering if we can just
> > proceed with what we ahve in terms of headers for web pages without
> change.
> >

> Which headers and footers?  The ones at OO.o that have the Oracle and
> the Project Kenai logos and have the statement "Oracle and Java are
> registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates"?   I don't
> think we will want to keep that page footer unchanged.

yes, right--of course we would exclude these references.

> I think the way to think of this is:
>
> 1) Oracle owns the trademark in the name "OpenOffice.org" and in the
> graphical logo.  This trademark is registered in several countries.
>
> 2) Oracle has stated that they will assign these trademarks to Apache.
> This involves paperwork in multiple countries and will take time.
> Andrew Rist is the best one to give an update on where they are in
> that process.

ah, OK. Thanks.

> 3) Once transferred to Apache then we can use the logo per Apache
> Branding Requirements:
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html
>
> 4) If we want to create a different version of that logo (if that is
> what you are asking about) then this is really two questions:
>
> a) Do we have the right to modify the logo?  I think that would be
> yes.  We can create derived works if we own the copyright to the logo.
>
> b) What is the status of the modified logo?  I have no idea what that
> does in terms of trademark.  In particular, would it mean we need to
> register the modified logo?  If this comes up as a direction we want
> to take, we'd need to consult with Apache Branding on this.

OK, and thanks for your response.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
The Incubator Branding Guide notes:
"Podlings websites SHOULD contain the Apache Incubator Project logo as
sign of affiliation."

More importantly, the key point is that podlings must ensure their
public websites make it clear they are a podling; or rather, that they
are not (yet) an official Apache project or product.  Using the
incubator logo in some secondary page space is fine; likewise, the
footers or other secondary branding on the pages should note the podling
is undergoing Incubation.

Oh, yeah, the site does most of that that already!  8-)

I think it might be useful in this case to have a new "General" link to
a subpage about "What is Incubation" or something - i.e. a brief
overview of why it's incubating and what that means for end users and
the larger community.

Overall, the best idea is to figure out how this project wants to manage
it's branding with some more specific proposals, and then ask for
approvals/assistance from Apache Legal and Branding.  Having concrete
questions to answer is much simpler.

- Shane

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Sounds good.  I think there are some rules about how the Apache symbols are used for in-incubator podlings.  (There is a revealing topic on T-shirts somewhere, either legal-discuss or general-incubator, I think.)

 - Dennis

Amazing the volume of emails that came in while driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

On Aug 3, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> There are some first steps proceding with moving portions of the existng OpenOffice.org site to Apache. See, for example,
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/download/index.html
>
> This page lacks headers and footers, which brings me to...
>
> I know there's been discussion about the current OpenOffice.org logo

Regenerate the current headers and footers, but it needs to be done via wrapping in the Apache CMS.

In ooo/site/trunk/templates

sidenav.mdtext
single_narrative.html
skeleton.html

Take skeleton.html and make a ooo_skeleton.html

In ooo/site/trunk/lib

path.pm
view.pm

In path.pm:

our @patterns = (
        [qr!\.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "single_narrative.html" }],
) ;

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Kay,