Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Martin Rosenfeld <ro...@ca.rr.com> on 2016/02/28 19:33:08 UTC

Euro Symbol...?

Hi,

I use Apache OO 4.1.2 in OS/2 (eCS22b2). I cannot find a euro symbol to
insert into a document in insert--special characters in any of my fonts.
Is this because I don't know where to look or because eCS doesn't supply
a font with a euro or something else?

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: Euro Symbol...?--Euro Symbol?--"No Prob" for Windows

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

Do not worry about the Euro when the Eurozone collapses we need
different symbols.

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2016-03-02, 11:06 PM Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> Do not worry about the Euro when the Eurozone collapses we need different symbols.

Thank you for the very useful and informative comment.
👎

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Euro Symbol...?--Euro Symbol?--"No Prob" for Windows

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 03/02/2016 10:41 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
> It's been interesting how you guys have been arguing about Windows and
> Linux and even Apple systems when I originally asked a question about OS/2

You may recall I mentioned how I used to provide OS/2 support at IBM and
worked with English and French keyboards and how it was so long ago I no
longer remember the details.  Also, answers on this list should try to
be general, so that others can benefit, which is why I mentioned Linux
and Windows.  I run OO on both.

Re: Euro Symbol...?--Euro Symbol?--"No Prob" for Windows

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
> On Mar 3, 2016, at 17:40, Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> wrote:
>
> Most people these days don't know what OS/2 is.  They think it is some past release of OSX.  I ran eCS until a year or so ago when I bought a new computer and it wouldn't install.  That was 2.0 and my subscription ran out before 2.1 was released.  I didn't renew it because I couldn't install it.

I've been using OS/2 for many years, but have migrated to OS X and Mac.  I still run a Vbox virtual machine for one program I wrote years ago that uses Rexx libraries that are not available for Regina. PMView for OS2  is still better than any image manipulation application that I've found for OS X.

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

Always remember to close all parentheses. We're not paying to air condition the entire paragraph.

Re: Euro Symbol...?--Euro Symbol?--"No Prob" for Windows

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
On 3/2/2016 10:41 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
>> If he really is running OS/2 (I think eComStation is the current
>> rendition) he will probably have to change his code page.  But I don't
>> think the eComStation (eCS) version of Open Office is handled by Apache
>> and he should probably ask on the eCS mailing list.
>
> I am running eCS but am getting used to calling it OS/2 again because
> there is another distro of OS/2 about to come on line at present
> called Blue Lion. I use Adobe OpenOffice for OS/2 and can now make a
> euro symbol with alt+213 (but not with altGR+213). It's been
> interesting how you guys have been arguing about Windows and Linux and
> even Apple systems when I originally asked a question about OS/2.

Most people these days don't know what OS/2 is.  They think it is some
past release of OSX.  I ran eCS until a year or so ago when I bought a
new computer and it wouldn't install.  That was 2.0 and my subscription
ran out before 2.1 was released.  I didn't renew it because I couldn't
install it.

Dale Erwin

Re: Euro Symbol...?--Euro Symbol?--"No Prob" for Windows

Posted by Martin Rosenfeld <ro...@ca.rr.com>.
> If he really is running OS/2 (I think eComStation is the current
> rendition) he will probably have to change his code page.  But I don't
> think the eComStation (eCS) version of Open Office is handled by Apache
> and he should probably ask on the eCS mailing list.

I am running eCS but am getting used to calling it OS/2 again because
there is another distro of OS/2 about to come on line at present called
Blue Lion. I use Adobe OpenOffice for OS/2 and can now make a euro
symbol with alt+213 (but not with altGR+213). It's been interesting how

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 03/02/2016 09:04 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:
> Even with the US International keyboard (which is what I use also),
> not all fonts have all the characters.  I use US International
> keyboard layout so that I can write documents in Spanish and Italian
> as well as English.  But you still have to make sure that the font you
> are using has the characters you want.  Otherwise, I don't think any
> method will create the characters for you.

As I mention, you can have more than one layout enabled and just switch
among them as needed.

Re: Euro Symbol...?--Euro Symbol?--"No Prob" for Windows

Posted by Dave <da...@gmail.com>.
Posted by Samuel Ogle <sa...@centurylink.net>.

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Posted by Dave <da...@gmail.com>.
> On 03/02/2016 06:07 AM, Dave Barton wrote:
>>> For anyone who's good at touch typing, that would slow them down.
>> FWIW: I frequently need to type the € character on a standard US
>> keyboard and for a long time have used the "AutoCorrect -> Replace"
>> option, by adding :?: (colon + question mark + colon) as my personal
>> auto correction replacement for the Euro character. This works for me in
>> both AOO & LO under Windows & Linux (presumably it would also work for
>> OSX & OS2). There is a minor (slightly inconvenient) difference between
>> AOO & LO, in that AOO requires a space or return character to
>> immediately follow the chosen AutoCorrect string.

It never ceases to amaze me, why people find it so desperately important
to argue against a simple suggestion.

My post starts with "FWIW" which translates to: "Here is something I
use, which may be of some use/interest to others, otherwise ignore it."

> So, now you're hitting 3 or 4 keys and you'd have to set up something
> for each special character.

FYI the Euro is only special character I have regular need for and only
in AOO/LO. Why should you care if I have to make a couple of extra
keystrokes, I have already used more keystrokes writing this than I
would have done typing :?: in a hundred documents.

> I just press right Alt & 5 to get €.

Pleased to know that works for you.

> Again, it's so easy to set up the U.S. International layout on Linux &
> Windows (no idea about Mac) that there's no need to use those tricks.

I do not need to be told how easy it is to set up and switch keyboard
layouts, I have done that on numerous occasions in the past.

> I have my keyboard configured to support U.S. English, U.S.
> International and Greek (for electronics symbols).  I can easily switch
> among them as needed.

Great, but in my case globally setting OS configurations for one trivial
requirement in one program is not an option, because it creates real
problems in other applications I use and don't want or need to fiddle
around with keyboard switching tricks.

Nowhere in my previous post did I suggest that an option I had chosen to
use was the best way to work, or that anyone else should use it. Just
accept that my working methods and requirements differ from yours.

Re: Euro Symbol...?--Euro Symbol?--"No Prob" for Windows

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.
> Yes that's right, using US international keyboard under Windows,€  can be made using right Alt-key + 5 (number key with % sign on it).Right Alt key on some keyboards also known as Alt Gr.
> Sincerely
> Gerrit
>

>     On Tuesday, 1 March 2016, 23:55, James Knott <ja...@rogers.com> wrote:
>

>  On 03/01/2016 04:17 PM, Dale Erwin wrote:
>> What's wrong with Insert > Special Character.  It's available in
>> writer and calc, but I don't know about the other components.
>
> For anyone who's good at touch typing, that would slow them down.

FWIW: I frequently need to type the € character on a standard US
keyboard and for a long time have used the "AutoCorrect -> Replace"
option, by adding :?: (colon + question mark + colon) as my personal
auto correction replacement for the Euro character. This works for me in
both AOO & LO under Windows & Linux (presumably it would also work for
OSX & OS2). There is a minor (slightly inconvenient) difference between
AOO & LO, in that AOO requires a space or return character to
immediately follow the chosen AutoCorrect string.

Dave

Re: Euro Symbol...?--Euro Symbol?--"No Prob" for Windows

Posted by Gerry Dutchie <wi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Posted by "Anthony J. Rudgers" <an...@att.net>.
No need to do anything "special" to get "special" characters (like the euro
symbol) if you're using any Microsoft OS, from Windows XP up to Windows 7.
Just use the Windows "Character Map Utility" that came installed on your
computer when you bought it.  Visit the MS website to find out how to use
this Character Map Utility.  In actuality, it's easy as pie to use when you
wish to put practically any special character you need into a Writer
document.  (Click on the "special character" of your choice & select it.
Then it's just a matter of "Copy & Paste.")  Pin the installed  MS CM
Utility to your Windows task bar, & just click it open whenever you need it
during preparation of a document.  Plus you get that special character
correctly in the particular font you're using for your Writer text, unless
that font is something really exotic & obscure.   My pinned CM Utility opens
in the "New Times Roman" font, which is the default font I generally use for
most all the text I type.  (I'm still running Windows 7.  I don't have my
Windows 10 installed yet, but I imagine the MS Character Map Utility works
just fine in that OS as well.)

How about "3 cheers & a Tiger" for good ol' Microsoft on this one!

Best wishes,

Anthony J. Rudgers
Orlando, FL

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@gmail.com>.
Martin, you're using RoadRunner so I assume you're in the USA.  If that's
so, I can help by snail-mailing a chart that gives the kybd codes for all
of the usual alphanumeric characters, plus €, ¥, æ, Ø, and a great many
other useful symbols.  You simply use the ALT key with a 4-digit
numeric-pad combo (ALT-0128 for €).

Or, go to www.alt-codes.net for even more "ALT-n" symbols.

These codes may also works for other "national" kybds -- I don't know.

Email your postal address.

Maurice Howe
MauriceHowe@gmail.com

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 02/28/2016 03:17 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
> I did say what system I am using. I said OS/2 (eCS2.2b2). OS/2 is an
> operating system like Windows x or Linux.

I am quite familiar with OS/2, having used it for several years and also
supported it at IBM Canada.  You have to use a keyboard layout that
supports that character, for example International English.  In Linux &
Windows, it's easy to switch layouts.  It's been too many years for me
to remember how to do it in OS/2.  When I was at IBM, I worked with both
English and French layouts.

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by Martin Rosenfeld <ro...@ca.rr.com>.

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 02/28/2016 01:33 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Apache OO 4.1.2 in OS/2 (eCS22b2). I cannot find a euro symbol
> to insert into a document in insert--special characters in any of my
> fonts. Is this because I don't know where to look or because eCS
> doesn't supply a font with a euro or something else?
>
> Martin Rosenfeld

You don't say what kind of system you're using. You need to implement a
Compose key. Many Linux distros--maybe all-- have the capability of
assigning a compose key to one of the keyboard keys--right-alt is a good
choice, or right Windows, if you have one. On Windows, there are
a number of programs many of them free, that will let you assign a
Compose key. One is AllChars.

With a Compose key, you can create a whole slew of different symbols
using the sequence: Compose key1 key2. Many of the combinations
are obvious. To create a Euro sign, €, you hit Compose, c, =, (without
the commas) and there you are. All the diacritic marks of European
languages are there, plus some common Greek letters, like µ (mu), the
German ß, the degree sign for 75°F, other foreign currency signs, like £,
¥, and the US ¢,  ¶ and many others.

--doug

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:33:08 -0800
Martin Rosenfeld <ro...@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use Apache OO 4.1.2 in OS/2 (eCS22b2). I cannot find a euro symbol to
> insert into a document in insert--special characters in any of my fonts.
> Is this because I don't know where to look or because eCS doesn't supply
> a font with a euro or something else?
>
> Martin Rosenfeld

On all the linux and Windows systems I have used euro symbol is obtained by AltGr and the 4 key on top row. My keyboard layouts are English(UK)

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 12:12:53 -0800
Martin Rosenfeld <ro...@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> Matthias,
>
> I understand "Alt + E", but how would I type AltGr + E. I don't
> understand "Gr".
>
> Martin

AltGr key is the Alt key immediately to the right of spacebar on most keyboards.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
Of course, the keyboard layout has to support it.  The International
English does, U.S. English doesn't.

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by Martin Rosenfeld <ro...@ca.rr.com>.
Matthias,

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
I'm still using an older version of eComStation (OS/2) but normally I
type "AltGr + E" to get the euro-symbol €.

This is the standard behaviour on all systems where I use OpenOffice
(Windows, Linux, OS/2)

regards

Matthias Seidel

Re: Euro Symbol...?

Posted by jd1008 <jd...@gmail.com>.

On 02/28/2016 11:33 AM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Apache OO 4.1.2 in OS/2 (eCS22b2). I cannot find a euro symbol
> to insert into a document in insert--special characters in any of my
> fonts. Is this because I don't know where to look or because eCS
> doesn't supply a font with a euro or something else?
>
> Martin Rosenfeld

Perhaps this will help:

      [Solved] Euro symbol € after saving as .doc
      <https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5822>