Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de> on 2003/11/07 19:45:15 UTC

sitemap design (was: Re: [Vote] empty HTTP responses)

On 07.11.2003 19:06, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Careful. I'm against the use of
>
>  <match src="something">
>  </match>
>  <read/>
>
> as well. The proper way should be
>
>  <match src="something">
>  </match>
>
>  <match src="**">
>   <reader/>
>  </match>
>
> having the logic processing not following the element nesting, is, IMO,
> very confusing and very bad practice.
>
> In the original sitemap design, it was *NOT* possible to have pipeline
> components inside <pipeline>, only matchers. This is something that was
> introduced while I wasn't watching, just like actions.
>
> Yes, actions are not the only the only things I dislike about the
> sitemap: the tree processor introduced new ways of dealing with things
> (like having resources without generators or serializers, or pipeline
> components in pipelines without matchers)... but all these things ended
> up being more harm than good from a usage perspective.

AFAIK it's not the tree processor's fault. Resources as pipeline parts
where possible as far as I can remember :-) But with the compiled
sitemap engine they must either call another resource or end with a
serializer. Now (with the tree processor) the pipeline flow falls back
to the calling pipeline, what allows e.g. transformer only resources.

Joerg