Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/07/30 18:04:31 UTC

Default servlet regressions

All,

It looks like there is another regression in the Default Servlet.

While I think I have a patch for this, I'm currently leaning towards
doing the following:

- Announcing the 8.5.19 and 9.0.0.M25 releases with a warning about the
  regression.

- Reverting the encoding changes in 8.5.x and earlier.

- Fixing the latest regression for 9.0.0.M26.

- Tagging and releasing 8.5.20 and 9.0.0.M26 early in August (i.e. early
  this coming week).

- Take a longer look at the Default servlet code for M27 that will
  include some refactoring and API changes I've been considering while
  working on the encoding issue.

Thoughts, comments, objections etc.?

Mark

Re: Default servlet regressions

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 31/07/17 17:16, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 30/07/17 19:04, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> It looks like there is another regression in the Default Servlet.
>>
>> While I think I have a patch for this, I'm currently leaning towards
>> doing the following:
>>
>> - Announcing the 8.5.19 and 9.0.0.M25 releases with a warning about the
>>   regression.

Change of plan on this one. I'm not going to announce at all. I'll just
drop them from the mirrors.

>> - Reverting the encoding changes in 8.5.x and earlier.
>
> This has been done.
>
>> - Fixing the latest regression for 9.0.0.M26.
>
> This has been done. But...
>
> Thinking about this overnight, I thought of some other possible edge
> cases. The result is that I have put together a greatly expanded set of
> tests - currently 680 - using parametrization. Of these, currently 196
> (no that isn't a typo) fail. I'm currently working my way through them
> since some failures are expected (and I need to mark them as such so the
> tests pass) but I have found some additional edge cases that need to be
> handled.

2720 unit tests later (parameterized unit tests are great for really
increasing the number of tests) 9.0.x looks good.

>> - Tagging and releasing 8.5.20 and 9.0.0.M26 early in August (i.e. early
>>   this coming week).

I'm planning to do this shortly. 9.0.x has passed all my pre-tagging
tests so I'll be tagging trunk  very soon.

>> - Take a longer look at the Default servlet code for M27 that will
>>   include some refactoring and API changes I've been considering while
>>   working on the encoding issue.

Still on the TODO list for M27

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Default servlet regressions

> It's nice to know that the EBCDIC->ShiftJIS conversion is now reliable.

We actually do have customers that use that conversion (but perhaps not in
Tomcat).

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.

Re: Default servlet regressions

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mark,

On 8/2/17 4:35 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Mark,

>>> This has been done.

>>> This has been done. But...
>>
>>> Thinking about this overnight, I thought of some other
>>> possible edge cases. The result is that I have put together a
>>> greatly expanded set of tests - currently 680 - using
>>> parametrization.
>>
>> You're a machine.
>
> Nah. I just know how to wrote nested for loops ;)

It's nice to know that the EBCDIC->ShiftJIS conversion is now reliable.

>>> Of these, currently 196 (no that isn't a typo) fail. I'm
>>> currently working my way through them since some failures are
>>> expected (and I need to mark them as such so the tests pass)
>>> but I have found some additional edge cases that need to be
>>> handled.
>>
>> Thanks for all your hard work on this.
>
> You are welcome. But - to be frank - I broke this in the first
> place. I feel I should be the one to sort it out. I'm just sorry it
> has taken a handful of releases.

It's a better product for it.

I just finally slew a timezone-related issue that was caused by a
vendor stubbornly refusing to provide time zone information in their
JSON-based API calls (a killing offense IMO) except when it IS there
(fun with SimpleDateFormat! Thanks, Sun/Oracle, for not providing a
way to emit/parse ISO-8601 date strings using SimpleDateFormat until
Java 8 and then making the documentation unreadable so you have to
write unit tests just to find out how it works) and the server is
running in yet another time zone (e.g. UTC).

Sometimes stuff just takes a while. What's a few dozen more lines of
plumbing code between friends? :/

- -chris

- --
"If you ever meet me in person, you'll see I'm not such a miserable
bastard as this thread would indicate." -me

Re: Default servlet regressions

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Default servlet regressions