Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/10/31 05:32:50 UTC

1.2 Fit and Finish

In a typical Geronimo release we tend to spend a significant amount
of time in what I'll call the "Fit and Finish" phase.  This involves
tying up loose ends such as log levels, tools L&F, startup times,
licenses and so on.  Basically, the phase includes fixing all the
nits that cause people to vote -1 for a release (BTW no vetos in a
release vote).

Please, take a moment and respond to this email with any items you
feel should be cleaned up before we release the software.  That way
we can hopefully get these items out in the open and addressed while
we are finishing the TCK testing.  Please note that just because an
item is mentioned doesn't mean it must be completed before a
release.  The only thing required for a release it to successfully
pass a vote of the PMC, so if the item is critical to you, spend a
few minutes fixing it.

With any luck we should be able to have the server ready to ship
about the same time we finish the TCK testing.

-dain

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Its gone.

--jason

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Kevan,

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Is anyone gonna look at this?

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 11/3/06, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> I'm not surprised.  Can you merge them?

done

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
I'm not surprised.  Can you merge them?  Also, Aaron has many merges

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 11/2/06, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:
>
> > OK I had a hunch something might break but I figured I would ask
> > anyway just in case there was a way.  For now I can probably
> > manufacture a reasonable test env on my local machine but as the
> > server gets more componentized as plugins I think it will become more
> > important to test the system as a whole before releasing.  To me that
> > means base server, plugins, and plugin repos bits are all tested in
> > the same configuration that a user will see when the release is
> > announced.
>
> I'm not so sure about that.  We already have a hard enough time
> release Geronimo because of all the bits we throw into the "server"
> bucket.  I'm concerned that if we decide to delay the server to make
> sure plugins run, we will never get a release out.
>
> -dain

I see your point.  It comes down to how critical the plugin
infrastructure is to the release, and right now that's debatable.
Let's just continue to innovate and see where that road takes us :-)

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
OK I had a hunch something might break but I figured I would ask
anyway just in case there was a way.  For now I can probably
manufacture a reasonable test env on my local machine but as the
server gets more componentized as plugins I think it will become more
important to test the system as a whole before releasing.  To me that
means base server, plugins, and plugin repos bits are all tested in
the same configuration that a user will see when the release is
announced.

BTW, we're close to the point where you can install the framework
assembly and then use the CLI to slurp in the admin console and all
its dependencies from the 1.2 plugin repo at
http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins/geronimo-1.2/.   Looking forward
I'm excited about the new possibilities this opens up for us in how we
release.

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Oct 31, 2006, at 4:25 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> I would say that the startup and shutdown sequences should not show
> any Log4J log output or stack traces, tested under both JDK 1.4 and
> JDK 1.5.

I fixed some of the amq logging problems today (their package name
changed so log4j needed updating).  Yet again, ActiveMQ is logging
exceptions at shutdown which are not real problems.  I sent an email
to the amq list but who knows if they will fix them.

> Also, all current functionality in all portlets in the
> console should work as expected.  And the deploy tool should be able
> to deploy, undeploy, and redeploy all J2EE module types, with no
> module ID in the plan, a versionless module ID, a module ID with only
> an artifact ID, or no plan at all.

Are you going to verify these?  If you are, please do it sooner
rather then later.

-dain

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I would say that the startup and shutdown sequences should not show
any Log4J log output or stack traces, tested under both JDK 1.4 and
JDK 1.5.  Also, all current functionality in all portlets in the
console should work as expected.  And the deploy tool should be able
to deploy, undeploy, and redeploy all J2EE module types, with no
module ID in the plan, a versionless module ID, a module ID with only
an artifact ID, or no plan at all.  Those are the things I can recall
bothering me in the "fit and finish" stage.

It would be great to reduce the startup time too.  :)

Thanks,
      Aaron

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Nov 1, 2006, at 7:14 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2006, at 10:47 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> On Oct 31, 2006, at 6:13 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>>> IMO, fixing the startup time of the web console config under
>>> jetty (see GERONIMO-2507) is a must fix...
>>
>> Does that mean you are going to fix it?
>
> Happy to, when I have enough time. Does that mean you are happy to
> ship with the current behavior?

I find the current behavior acceptable and I would not vote against
the release.

-dain

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 30, 2006, at 11:32 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> In a typical Geronimo release we tend to spend a significant amount
> of time in what I'll call the "Fit and Finish" phase.  This
> involves tying up loose ends such as log levels, tools L&F, startup
> times, licenses and so on.  Basically, the phase includes fixing
> all the nits that cause people to vote -1 for a release (BTW no
> vetos in a release vote).
>
> Please, take a moment and respond to this email with any items you
> feel should be cleaned up before we release the software.  That way
> we can hopefully get these items out in the open and addressed
> while we are finishing the TCK testing.  Please note that just
> because an item is mentioned doesn't mean it must be completed
> before a release.  The only thing required for a release it to
> successfully pass a vote of the PMC, so if the item is critical to
> you, spend a few minutes fixing it.
>
> With any luck we should be able to have the server ready to ship
> about the same time we finish the TCK testing.

As I've mentioned previously, all source files must comply with the
new ASF source header and copyright notice policy (see http://
www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html). I created GERONIMO-2537 to
track this...

Appear to be some scripts that can be used to automatically make the
updates (see the FAQ). However, they seem to be accessible only by
ASF Members?!!

I'd also suggest that we run RAT (http://code.google.com/p/arat/). To
audit the compliance of Geronimo to Apache release requirements and
best practices... RAT was developed (at least in part) to aid
incubating Apache projects.

1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Oct 30, 2006, at 10:07 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On 10/31/06, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
>> In a typical Geronimo release we tend to spend a significant amount
>> of time in what I'll call the "Fit and Finish" phase.  This involves
>> tying up loose ends such as log levels, tools L&F, startup times,
>> licenses and so on.  Basically, the phase includes fixing all the
>> nits that cause people to vote -1 for a release (BTW no vetos in a
>> release vote).
>
> What do you mean by this BTW?

I'm hoping this thread doesn't get side tracked into a discussion
about voting procedures, but since you asked...

FWIU, you can not veto a release.  You can vote -1 and attempt to
change other peoples minds and their votes to a -1.  This is what
normally happens when someone votes -1, because is is normally
followed by a very good reason.  On the other hand, we have had
release held up while someone fixed a nit.  This is something I hope
to avoid that by reminding those that nit pick that they can be out
votes, so it is best to get their nits on the table now (or even
better fix them now).

-dain

Re: 1.2 Fit and Finish

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 10/31/06, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> In a typical Geronimo release we tend to spend a significant amount
> of time in what I'll call the "Fit and Finish" phase.  This involves
> tying up loose ends such as log levels, tools L&F, startup times,
> licenses and so on.  Basically, the phase includes fixing all the
> nits that cause people to vote -1 for a release (BTW no vetos in a
> release vote).

What do you mean by this BTW?

Jacek

--