Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Emmanuel Gustin <Em...@skynet.be> on 2001/12/12 19:46:54 UTC

Xerces 1.4.4 bug when running in Oracle 8

I am trying to get an application running with Xerces-J 1.4.4
on an Oracle 8i virtual machine (running it as a Java Stored
Procedure). The application works stand-alone, but within
Oracle it generates NullPointerException when parsing XML
files that exceed a certain length (about 30 lines) and then
contain tags that begin with certain letters... For example,
at a given point
        <ablabla>test</ablabla>
is still OK but
        <blablaf>test</blablaf>
throws a SAXParserException that wraps NullPointerException.

I traced it to class
            org.apache.xerces.utils.SymbolCache
method
            public int addSymbolToCache(String str, int slen, int
symbolHandle)
at
            count = entries[0];
which is about halfway the method (line 237). There entries is 'null'.
Which obviously it shouldn't be, but I don't understand very well
what this piece of code is supposed to do.

Any suggestions?

Emmanuel Gustin