Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tianyin Xu <ti...@cs.ucsd.edu> on 2012/03/11 19:51:42 UTC

[users@httpd] "no space left on device couldn't create the XXX mutex"

When I start httpd, the following message is shown in the error log and
apache failed to start.
"no space left on device couldn't create the XXX mutex"

It seems that a lot of people has also encountered this problem:
http://carlosrivero.com/fix-apache---no-space-left-on-device-couldnt-create-accept-lock
Their proposed solution is useful.

The root cause is that there're a lot of orphan semaphore in the sysem
semaphore arrays and occupy all the resources.

Is there some bugs in Apache that lead to this problem? I've encountered
this problem two times.

Thanks!

Best,
Tianyin

--
Tianyin XU,
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~tixu/

Re: [users@httpd] "no space left on device couldn't create the XXX mutex"

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net>.
On 3/11/2012 1:51 PM, Tianyin Xu wrote:
> Is there some bugs in Apache that lead to this problem? I've
> encountered this problem two times.

My understanding of the root of the problem is not the best, but I
believe this is because of how Linux does locking. Typically, this
should *only* happen if a process obtains a lock but crashes before it
can be released. Otherwise, a well-behaved httpd server will not have
this issue - it is quite good at cleaning up after itself.

--
Daniel Ruggeri