Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2004/12/03 08:53:01 UTC

Info on Avalon Framework

Gang,

you may have heard about what happened in Avalon-land. Looks like the
project has failed from a community POV. So, just for those who don't
know already, Avalon Framework which we use in FOP has been transferred
over to the Avalon Excalibur project (http://excalibur.apache.org/).

The source code is here: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/excalibur/trunk/framework/

The announcement:
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@avalon.apache.org/msg05033.html

My impression is that the package will remain active and maintained this
way, so actually this doesn't change anything for us.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Info on Avalon Framework

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 03.12.2004 15:19:11 Glen Mazza wrote:

I guess that's "fahrenheit", right? Makes 37.0°C. So no big deal, then.
:-)

> It appears we should
> switch from Avalon configuration to Commons
> configuration -- and then drop the Avalon library from
> HEAD.  Thoughts?

-0. I see no reason. Avalon Framework works, is stable and still
maintained. Commons Configuration is more complicated and someone would
have to volunteer to do the conversion. It adds a runtime dependency on
commons-collections. Furthermore, it's unclear to me if this would
also introduce runtime dependencies on commons-digester and
commons-beanutils.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Info on Avalon Framework

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
switch from Avalon configuration to Commons
configuration -- and then drop the Avalon library from
HEAD.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Glen