Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by "Rob.Conde" <Ro...@ai-solutions.com> on 2005/11/04 21:08:49 UTC

Building on Visual Studio 2005

Ok,

            I know it's only been out for a few days, but I'm having trouble
building Xalan 1.10 on Visual Studio .NET 2005.

Problem #1: VS 2005 nmake does not appear to suck in tools.ini files even
though the docs say it should. This leaves things undefined and causes
Localization to fail to build quite quickly. This of course is not really
under the control of Xalan devs, but fyi.   I worked around it by simply
pasting the relevant definitions from tools.ini into the top of
BuildMessages.mak.

Problem #2: The next thing I run into are syntax errors in icureshandler.cpp

            Line 89:             void XalanFileOutputStream::write(const
UTF16Ch *, unsigned int) cannot convert parameter 1 from 'XMLCh[512]' to
'const UTF16Ch *'

            Line 150:           void XalanFileOutputStream::write(const
UTF16Ch *, unsigned int) cannot convert parameter 1 from 'XMLCh *' to 'const
UTF16Ch *'

I could imagine I might run into more problems once these are fixed - but
that's as far as I get at the moment. I would appreciate any help I can get.
Or at least a status/acknowledgement.

Robert Conde

Re: Building on Visual Studio 2005

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
Rob.Conde wrote:
> Ok,
>
>             I know it’s only been out for a few days, but I’m having
> trouble building Xalan 1.10 on Visual Studio .NET 2005.
>

> Problem #1: VS 2005 nmake does not appear to suck in tools.ini files
> even though the docs say it should. This leaves things undefined and
> causes Localization to fail to build quite quickly. This of course is
> not really under the control of Xalan devs, but fyi…   I worked around
> it by simply pasting the relevant definitions from tools.ini into the
> top of BuildMessages.mak.

I had the same problem when I tested with the beta, so I just hacked up
things like you have.

> Problem #2: The next thing I run into are syntax errors in icureshandler.cpp
>
>             Line 89:             void XalanFileOutputStream::write(const
> UTF16Ch *, unsigned int) cannot convert parameter 1 from ‘XMLCh[512]’ to
> ‘const UTF16Ch *’
>
>             Line 150:           void XalanFileOutputStream::write(const
> UTF16Ch *, unsigned int) cannot convert parameter 1 from ‘XMLCh *’ to
> ‘const UTF16Ch *’

This looks like a conflict between Xerces-C's definition of XMLCh and
UTF16Ch.  Also, we should probably not be using UTF16Ch, since it adds
no value.  I suspect what happened is you converted the VS 2003 project
files and the conversion set the option to treat wchar_t as a built-in
type.  This conforms to the C++ language standard, but doesn't work well
with Xerces-C.

Open the Xerces-C project and look at the properties for the XercesLib
target.  Under configuration properties folder, you'll see a C/C++
folder.  Under that, you'll find a tab called "Language," which contains
an option called "Treat wchar_t as Built-in Type."  Set this to "no" for
each configuration and rebuild Xerces-C.

I'm going to create a Jira issue to make the necessary source code
changes so this won't happen in the next release.

Dave