Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martin Hoeller <ma...@xss.co.at> on 2007/02/14 12:17:57 UTC

handling of optional 3rd-party-dependencies in tests

Hi all!

I've got a question regarding dependencies. Let me first explain my
project structure.

- I've got project A which is a web application (WAR).
- A depends on project B which is of type JAR.
- B depends on hibernate which has an optional dependency on ehcache.

My idea is if A wants to use hibernate's second level cache ehcache A has
to define a dependency on ehcache. To use ehcache also for tests in B, B
defines ehcache as a dependency of scope "test".

Whenever I now run mvn test I get the following warings:

| Artifact net.sf.ehcache:ehcache:jar:1.2.3:test retains local scope 'test' overriding broader scope 'compile'
| given by a dependency. If this is not intended, modify or remove the local scope.

How can I get rid of this warning? Or am I doing something wrong?

tia,
- martin
--
Martin Höller                   | martin.hoeller@xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme           | http://www.xss.co.at/

Re: [m2] handling of optional 3rd-party-dependencies in tests

Posted by Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu>.
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 14.02.2007, 13:38 +0100 schrieb Martin Hoeller:
[...]
> However, as this is nothing I need to worry about (that's what I expected),
> I would like this warning to go away. I don't want warnings if everything
> is fine. What am I missing?

There is a recent thread [1] about exactly this topic on the dev list.
And the corresponding jira entry [2].

> - martin

-Tim

[1]
http://www.nabble.com/More-control-over-what-WARNING-messages-are-displayed-tf3211800s177.html#a8919184

[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2823

Re: [m2] handling of optional 3rd-party-dependencies in tests

Posted by Martin Hoeller <ma...@xss.co.at>.
Hello Franz!

Thanks for your quick reply.

On 14. February 2007 13:08 franz see wrote:

> I'm guessing that happened while maven was building module B.

Yes, forgot to mention this.

> AFAIK, that's just a reminder that that jar is using the scope "test"
> only. I don't think it's anything to worry about ( not unless you did not
> specify that jar to be of scope "test" ).

Not exactly sure what you mean.
I did not specify B.jar in project A to be of scope test, it's of scope
runtime (should it better be of scope compile?).

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, martin,

I'm guessing that happened while maven was building module B. AFAIK, that's
just a reminder that that jar is using the scope "test" only. I don't think
it's anything to worry about ( not unless you did not specify that jar to be
of scope "test" ).

Cheers,
Franz