Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "Bhagwan S. Soni" <bh...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/24 18:25:43 UTC

create statement is not working

Hi Hive Users,

I'm using Hive's 13th Cloudera version.
I'm facing an issue while running any of the create statement. Other
operations like DML and drop, alter are working fine. below is the sample
statement which i'm trying to run

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE IF NOT EXISTS PROCESS.aggregated_rspns
(
id int,
dt string,
hour string,
rspns_count bigint,
highest_rspns_count bigint
)
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED
FIELDS TERMINATED BY '\001'
LOCATION '/xyz/pqr/aggregated_rspns';

Could someone help me resolve this issue.
Please let me know if any further information required.

Re: create statement is not working

Posted by Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com>.
assuming you have the same issue as HIVE-10242<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-10242> you need to wait for next release (1.2) which includes a fix(which only applies if you are using DBTxnManager)
alternatively, you can disable concurrency if that is acceptable

Eugene

From: "Bhagwan S. Soni" <bh...@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, April 24, 2015 at 4:42 PM
To: "user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>" <us...@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: create statement is not working

in my case it just appeared as a hang.
I understood the problem now i want to know how i can avoid this.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:24 AM, Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
No, I was suggesting a possible explanation for why Create Table may be blocked.
that was the issue in HIVE-10242, but there were no exceptions – it just appeared as a hang.

From: Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk>>
Date: Friday, April 24, 2015 at 2:49 PM

To: "user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>" <us...@hive.apache.org>>

Hi Eugene,

What this with regard to the following thread of mine?

org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.LockException: No record of lock could be found, may have timed out

Thanks

Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Author of the books "A Practitioner’s Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE 15", ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.
co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN 978-0-9759693-0-4
Publications due shortly:
Creating in-memory Data Grid for Trading Systems with Oracle TimesTen and Coherence Cache
Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume one out shortly

From: Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk>>
Date: Friday, April 24, 2015 at 1:20 PM
To: "user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>" <us...@hive.apache.org>>

That is a valid point

I just create a database called table in hive which IMO does not make sense or should not be allowed

hive> create database table;
OK
Time taken: 0.488 seconds

Now try the same in Sybase given that table is keyword!

1> create database table on datadev01_HDD = 100 log on logdev01_HDD = 50
2> go
Msg 156, Level 15, State 2:
Server 'SYB_157', Line 1:
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'table'.

Posted by "Bhagwan S. Soni" <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Bhagwan S. Soni" <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk>.
Hm

Posted by "Bhagwan S. Soni" <bh...@gmail.com>.
To be more specific, it happens occasionally .

Posted by "Bhagwan S. Soni" <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by gabriel balan <ga...@oracle.com>.
Hi