Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jagane Sundar <ja...@sundar.org> on 2012/02/19 01:57:53 UTC

Detecting HBase cluster idle

Hello HBase gurus,

I have a question - can I use the metric 'Cluster Requests (R)' published by the HBase Master's metrics system to detect whether a cluster is idle or not? Upon first blush this seems like a good idea, but without knowledge of HBase internals, I am not sure that there aren't any internal housekeeping requests that will be reported as part of this metric.

The end goal is to be able to detect an idle HBase cluster and shut it down. 'Idle' meaning the user, or any application that the user has developed, are not making any requests to the HBase cluster.

Thanks in advance,
Jagane

Re: Detecting HBase cluster idle

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
(this is a user question so sending to the relevant mailing list and
putting dev@ in BCC)

Yeah it could be one way. Be aware that some janitorial processes in
the master do a full .META. scan every few minutes you might see very
quick bursts on one machine.

J-D

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.