Posted to announce@apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2011/03/02 17:49:03 UTC

[SECURITY] Tomcat 7 ignores @ServletSecurity annotations

Re: [SECURITY] Tomcat 7 ignores @ServletSecurity annotations

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [SECURITY] Tomcat 7 ignores @ServletSecurity annotations

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 03/03/2011 09:05, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Based on what I have seen so far it looks to be a valid issue. I have a
> very rough patch that addresses the bulk of the problem but there is
> some unexpected behaviour still to be resolved. Today's task is writing
> some unit tests, getting my head around exactly what needs to be done
> and refining the patch.
>
> I'd like to make statement regarding time-scales but the last time I hit
> what on the surface looked like a simple bug it took a month of
> refactoring to fix it. I don't think this is going to take anywhere near
> that long but until the full extent of the required changes is
> understood, it would be foolish to speculate about time-scales.

I believe this is now fixed. I'm running the unit tests now followed by
the Servlet TCK. Assuming everything passes, I'll start the 7.0.10
release process later today.

Mark

Re: [SECURITY] Tomcat 7 ignores @ServletSecurity annotations

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 03/03/2011 05:54, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Michael McCutcheon [mailto:michael.mccutcheon@att.net]
>> Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Tomcat 7 ignores @ServletSecurity annotations
>
>> On 3/2/2011 8:49 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> If code changes are required to address this, they will be included in
>>> the next release of Tomcat 7, 7.0.10. The release process for 7.0.10 is
>>> expected to start once the investigation of this issue is complete.
>
>> Hello, I was just wondering if there was any update on this issue.
>
> Bit impatient, aren't we?  Give Mark a chance to sleep a couple hours a day.

:)

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Michael McCutcheon [mailto:michael.mccutcheon@att.net]
> Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Tomcat 7 ignores @ServletSecurity annotations

> On 3/2/2011 8:49 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > If code changes are required to address this, they will be included in
> > the next release of Tomcat 7, 7.0.10. The release process for 7.0.10 is
> > expected to start once the investigation of this issue is complete.

> Hello, I was just wondering if there was any update on this issue.

Bit impatient, aren't we?  Give Mark a chance to sleep a couple hours a day.

 - Chuck

Re: [SECURITY] Tomcat 7 ignores @ServletSecurity annotations

Posted by Michael McCutcheon <mi...@att.net>.
On 3/2/2011 8:49 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> As reported on the users list [1], both Tomcat 7.0.8 and the latest
> Tomcat 7 code from svn appear to ignore @ServletSecurity annotations.
> Assuming this issue is confirmed, it may lead to authentication bypass
> and information disclosure.
>
> The exact details are still being investigated but this e-mail is being
> provided to give users early warning of this public issue.
>
> If code changes are required to address this, they will be included in
> the next release of Tomcat 7, 7.0.10. The release process for 7.0.10 is
> expected to start once the investigation of this issue is complete.
>
> Mark
> on behalf of the Apache Tomcat security team

Hello, I was just wondering if there was any update on this issue.

-Mike