Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2007/09/10 01:03:13 UTC

Domain changes

There are some reorganized domain/node classes under modules/distributed and
modules/distributed-impl dirs. Here the SCADomain is replaced by a Node.  A
node runs all or part of a domain. A Node has contributions added and
removed and has components started/stoppped etc. If available (a domain and
node name are provided and the domain is running) a Node  registers with a
DomainManager service and a ServiceDiscovery service. Here's what's in the
new code

Node
- A node implementation (NodeImpl)
- A contributions manager for adding/removing contributions
- A component manager
- A management SCA application that provides access to these features
remotely
- a web page for looking at the node

Domain
- A ServiceDiscovery service
- A domain manager service
- A sample domain application that pulls two together and includes
- A web page for looking at the domain and provides links to each nodes web
page.

You can try this by running the calculator distributed sample. This runs and
exercises some distributed nodes as it always has but uses the new classes
now. If you run the nodes independently from the command line they stay
around long enough for you to point a browser at them. Try
htpp://localhost:8080/node/index.html  (or whatever port the node has come
up on) and see the components in a node.

There is a new sample (sample-domain-webapp). The intention here is to
provide a generic domain and a node so you can start the domain and node and
then add contributions. Not complete yet as the "add contribution" function
needs turning into a remote service but you can use the domain
implementation along with nodes from the distributed calculator sample which
have hard coded contributions.

Here are some todos

I've copied all of the interfaces I need to make this work into
modules/distributed so there is code/interfaces here that is also elsewhere,
for
example, the component manager classes. I would like to move the new code to
new modules

modules/host-node - for the node related code?
modules/host-domain - for the domain related code?

I have used the interfaces Node and Domain currently should this be SCANode
and SCADomain?

host-embedded can stay as it provides the runtime and embedded support but
there are numerous domain implementations that we can remove assuming we
get to the stage where we are comfortable with Node. Ant has already ported
the hot update web app to use the new domain (currently working through
an issue with uris)

I'd like to start using the Node implementation in the samples. I'll have a
go at converting some and see how it goes.

Simon

Re: Domain changes

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 9/10/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

<snip>

I have used the interfaces Node and Domain currently should this be SCANode
> and SCADomain?

I  like SCANode and SCADomain.

host-embedded can stay as it provides the runtime and embedded support but
> there are numerous domain implementations that we can remove assuming we
> get to the stage where we are comfortable with Node.

+1 to rationalizing all the domain impls.

   ...ant

Re: Domain changes

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> [...]
>> and SCADomain?
>>

> I'm OK with both, not sure what others prefer.
>
>> host-embedded can stay as it provides the runtime and embedded
>> support but
>> there are numerous domain implementations that we can remove assuming we
>> get to the stage where we are comfortable with Node. Ant has already
>> ported
>> the hot update web app to use the new domain (currently working through
>> an issue with uris)
>>
>> I'd like to start using the Node implementation in the samples. I'll
>> have a
>> go at converting some and see how it goes.
>>

> Great!
>
> I'd suggest to move the API methods (expected to be used in
> application business logic) like getService(), getServiceReference()
> and cast() to a separate interface in a separate domain-api or

On top of what you already have, I'd like to be able to describe Nodes
with something like follows:

<composite name="MyNodes">

  <component name="NodeA">
    <implementation.node composite="bb:BigbankAccount"/>
  </component>

  <component name="NodeB">
    <implementation.node composite="bb:BigbankCalculator"/>
  </component>

</composite>

allowing, as a next step, to do something like follows:

<composite name="MyNodes">

  <component name="NodeA">
    <service name="ContributionManager>
      <binding.ws/>
    </service>
    <service name="ComponentManager>
      <binding.ws/>
    </service>
    <implementation.node composite="bb:BigbankAccount"/>
  </component>

or for example

  <component name="NodeB">
    <service name="ContributionManager>
      <binding.atom/>
    </service>
    <service name="ComponentManager>
      <binding.jsonrpc/>
    </service>
    <implementation.node composite="bb:BigbankCalculator"/>
  </component>

</composite>

I'm starting on working on an implementation-node module to support that.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Domain changes

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 9/13/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> ant elder wrote:

> and
> >>>>>>
> >> domain

> >> in

> features

> >> nodes

> and

> I'll

> >> stay

> has

> >> sample

> new

> >> Tomcat,

> support

> assuming

> already

> >> through

> I'll

> >> application

> >> creating

> words
> >>>
> >> are used elsewhere many times (outside of Tuscany) and it could be
> useful
> >> ensure that people understand that we are talking about the Tuscany
> >> concept
> >> of Node and Domain rather than anyone else's. The code at the moment
> uses
> >> Node and Domain. I raised the question as I felt there was scope for
> >> confusion. I'm now thinking that the SCA prefix is too loose (and not
> >> applicable in the Node code) so maybe TuscanyNode/TuscanyDomain would
> fit
> >> the bill?
> >>

> > I still prefer SCADomain out of all the suggestions :) For this
> particular
> > case i think its good to have the SCA suffix and that it makes it more
> > intuitive what its about.
> >
> >    ...ant
> >

> OK then, I'm happy with SCADomain and SCANode too :)
>
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

> OK,  I can't live with that. I'll make the change.

Simon

Re: Domain changes

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Re: Domain changes

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Domain changes

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Simon Nash wrote:

> Simon Laws wrote:
>
>> On 9/12/07, Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:
>>
>> (cut)
>>>
>>> I don't think we have more than one node or domain concept. These words
>>
>> are used elsewhere many times (outside of Tuscany) and it could be
>> useful to
>> ensure that people understand that we are talking about the Tuscany
>> concept
>> of Node and Domain rather than anyone else's. The code at the moment
>> uses
>> Node and Domain. I raised the question as I felt there was scope for
>> confusion. I'm now thinking that the SCA prefix is too loose (and not
>> applicable in the Node code) so maybe TuscanyNode/TuscanyDomain would
>> fit
>> the bill?
>>
> I think this is better.  I would see the TuscanyDomain as Tuscany's
> implementation of SCA's Domain concept.  In that correct?
>
>   Simon

So I thought a little bit more about that and I think I prefer:

org.apache.tuscany.sca.Domain

instead of:
org.apache.tuscany.sca.SCADomain
or org.apache.tuscany.sca.TuscanyDomain.

This is similar to:
org.osoa.sca.ComponentContext
org.osoa.sca.ServiceReference
commonj.sdo.DataObject