Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/09 21:20:27 UTC

Axis1.0 and chains/handlers

This is just FYI, in case you don't know all this already.

I'm sure some of you are already using axis. One thing it
would be worth looking at is the basic architecture they use
for request processing.

I think the model they're using is more powerfull than both
3.3 Interceptor and 4.0 Valve, and it may be worth understanding
it better.

They use multiple named 'chains' - request chain, transport chain, etc.
Each chain consist of Handlers - and the config explicitely specifies
the order of handlers in each chain.

That's an improvement over 3.3 - the system is more extensible (
instead of few dozens hardcoded callbacks in BaseInterceptor ). It
also allow fine control over the order of handlers - which is one
of the big pain points.

It provide benefits over 4.0 - where all processing happens in a
single chain ( with some additional 'chains' in listeners ).

It is also better than ActionCode - again, it is extensible (
we hardcode all the chains ) and provides more control.

The code is quite messy ( again IMO ), but as I said it is well
worth learning and using some of the ideas in future tomcats.

--
Costin