Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Charles Severance <cs...@umich.edu> on 2006/10/13 14:41:51 UTC

Thoughts on Pluto 1.1 / Pluto 2.0 / WSRP 1.0 / WSRP 2.0

For me - with Pluto 1.1 being so cleverly designed as a modular drop
in for many applications to support 168, I see the future looking
quite bright for increasing support for JSR-168 and JSR-286 going
forward.

A big question to me is how we will hook WSRP into the increasingly
elegant Pluto picture.

- Should we try to do some refactor work on WSRP 1.0 and hook it to
pluto 1.1  in a nice pluggable way?

- Is there any effort underway to produce a reference implementation
of WSRP 2.0? If so - is it connected to Pluto 1.1 or 2.0?

WSRP 1.0 suffered in the open source world pretty badly because the
reference implementation did not get much uptake.  I would hope that
next time around we could do better.

/Chuck

GA Release Next? (was Re: Thoughts on Pluto 1.1 / Pluto 2.0 / WSRP 1.0 / WSRP 2.0)

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Elliot Metsger wrote:

> I'm willing to participate in that effort but I'd
> really like to see a solid Pluto 1.1 final get out the door before I
> could commit my time.
>
> Elliot

Now that beta's finally out the door.  We need a plan in place to make
that GA release happen.  What does everyone think needs to be done?

David

Re: Thoughts on Pluto 1.1 / Pluto 2.0 / WSRP 1.0 / WSRP 2.0

Posted by Charles Severance <cs...@umich.edu>.
I agree - I have been quietly telling folks in the open source portal
world that I know to prepare for having to get involved here just
like you say.

I was just wondering if there was some other activity we did not know
about.

Also a big question is whether or not WSRP4J should be the platform
for 2.0 or is there a ground-up rewrite happening.  If it looks like
WSRP4J *is* going to be our path to WSRP 2.0 - then we should get
folks involved in WSRP4J now.

Off to join the WSRP4J list :)

/Chuck

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
I think this is something that would/should/could involve the WSRP4J
community.  I'm not sure that anyone has asked Chuck's questions on the
WSRP lists.

I do know from lurking on the WSRP lists that there has been some recent
activity related to abstracting away the current dependencies that
WSRP4J has with Pluto (1.0.x), and make the container a pluggable component.

I personally don't know of any efforts regarding a WSRP 2.0 ref impl, by
Apache or anyone else.

My feeling is that if some developers showed up on the wsrp-dev list
ready to discuss design, roll up their sleeves, and do some work, that
it would be welcomed.  I'm willing to participate in that effort but I'd