Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/21 05:49:31 UTC

Question about maximum size of svn repository (svn 1.6.1, backend as FSFS)

Hi

I was googling if there is a limitation for the size of the subversion
repository but could not find a relevent answer..
Does somebody know about or can throw some light please ? I am using
subversion 1.6.1 ..backend as FSFS on Centos 5.2.

Thanks.

- RR

Re: Question about maximum size of svn repository (svn 1.6.1, backend as FSFS)

Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt <
subversion-2010a@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2010, at 08:00, Ravi Roy wrote:
> > Right -- at least not due to APR. Not sure if your server's OS or
> filesystem might impose limitations of their own. If you think you're going
> to be dealing with files this big, you could do a test -- set >up a
> throwaway repository and try to commit > 2GB to it in one revision (in
> several files if you like), and also try to commit a single file of > 2GB
> (building it up in multiple commits if you like).

Thanks Ryan for you help, since I am using Centos 5.x, so there is maximum
filesize limit to 2TB in Centos 5. My server is not confined to Filesystem
limits as well.
Which means there is no limit to repository size on my server, Am I right ?
though big repository can cause performance issues...which is
understandable..and logicall too.

http://www.centos.org/product.html

Thanks again for your help!

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Ryan Schmidt
> <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:
> > On Mar 21, 2010, at 05:56, Ravi Roy wrote:
> > You'll have to ask the server administrator what version of APR is
> installed there. I don't know of a way to check it remotely.
> >
> I can see APR version in APR configuration file on my Subversion server  :

 APR_MAJOR_VERSION="1"
 APR_DOTTED_VERSION="1.3.3"

Which means server is not confined to 2.0 GB limitation for single revision
? Am I right ?
Thanks again!

Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.
<su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2010, at 05:56, Ravi Roy wrote:
> You'll have to ask the server administrator what version of APR is installed there. I don't know of a way to check it remotely.

Thanks Ryan for you quick reply. I will check that.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by gadamiak <gr...@gmail.com>.
> Just 7 Gigabytes? Our repository is 13 Gigabytes and I don't even think
we have that big a project.

Just FYI one of my repositories is now 130 Gigabytes big and is running
just fine :) It has almost 94.5 thousand commits in it.

Re: Question about maximum size of svn repository (svn 1.6.1, backend as FSFS)

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Just 7 Gigabytes? Our repository is 13 Gigabytes and I don't even
think we have that big a project. A typical checkout for us is about
700 to 800 megabytes of files and we have five major projects and
probably 5 dozen separate branches.

Subversion should be able to handle what you're doing with no problem.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Question about maximum size of svn repository (svn 1.6.1, backend as FSFS)

Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
There is no physical limitation to Subversion. There isn't a magic
number where there are more files than it can track or more
directories.

There may be limits with the actual operating system. For example,
some operating systems can't handle files larger than 2Gb. Or, Windows
having problems with directory/file names longer than 160 characters.
But, these would be true with ANY software you use.

There could be issues with speed as your repository gets bigger and
bigger, but there are sites out there running thousands of "projects"
on a single Subversion server and hundreds of users without any
problems.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com