Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Aaron Robinson <aa...@hotmail.com> on 2003/05/25 13:56:17 UTC

Confusion

this is all very confusing for newcomers

I want to work offline, so I have downloaded maven and installed as per the
instructions. I've then read through all of the online documentation (I
don't seem to be able to download this?)

I then use the genapp plug in to create an initial project: -

maven -Dpackage=com.yadda.blah genapp

and this creates all the necessary directories etc.

maven jar complains because it can't find a whole bunch of jars. First thing
I notice is that it is looking online for them, so I change my
project.properties to have mavem.mode.online=false and now it still can't
find them but at least it looks locally.

Then genapp plug-in seems to create a project file for Maven as a starting
point.

Now I'm confused because when running maven jar it complains because it
cab't find a whole bunch of jars, yet the dependcies element in the project
files is empty.

I try various combinations thiinking there must be a default set somewhere
but to no avail. eventually I resort to installing maven on my on-line PC
just so I can go through the process of running genapp and jar online so
that it will go off and get all the jars it needs.

I then transfer the updated local repository on my on-line PC to my offline
PC, change the mode to offline and it builds perfectly.

Phew.

I have no idea why all these jars are required. Perhaps they are required
when building maven? I searched throughout my file system and cannot find
any files that say they require these jars.

If these are required for general maven usage then shouldn't you ship them
with maven to avoid this process?

Why are there jar files in the maven home/lib dir? Is this an attempt at my
suggestion above? If so they are out of date, and anyway, you have them in
the lib dir off home, as opposed to in the offline repository.

It would be really useful if there were guidlines on how create a new
project from scratch, perhaps for each project type. I don'y mind
volunterring for this once I know what's going on.

Greate product and idea though, I think I'll have fun with this.

Re: Confusion

Posted by Konstantin Priblouda <kp...@yahoo.com>.
--- Aaron Robinson <aa...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> this is all very confusing for newcomers
Agree completely. But once you  get the clue and used
to maven - you will trash your ant :)

> I then use the genapp plug in to create an initial
> project: -
>
> maven -Dpackage=com.yadda.blah genapp
>
> and this creates all the necessary directories etc.
>
> maven jar complains because it can't find a whole
> bunch of jars. First thing
> I notice is that it is looking online for them, so I
> change my
> project.properties to have mavem.mode.online=false
> and now it still can't
> find them but at least it looks locally.

Well, if you say to work offline, maven looks into
your local repository only. If there are necessary
jars - fine. If not - you are lost.

You can also setup "local" remote repository with
maven.repo.remote= file:/wherever you like it ,
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven -
this way it would look in your local remote repository
first, and then in central one (if necessary)

best place forthis setting is build.properties in your

home directory ( globally for you )
or project.properties in project root.

But in any case you will have to populate your
repository first.

> Now I'm confused because when running maven jar it
> complains because it
> cab't find a whole bunch of jars, yet the dependcies
> element in the project
> files is empty.

Maven plugins also have dependencies... They have to
be satisfied

> I try various combinations thiinking there must be a
> default set somewhere
> but to no avail. eventually I resort to installing
> maven on my on-line PC
> just so I can go through the process of running
> genapp and jar online so
> that it will go off and get all the jars it needs.

I'm doing a lot of maven builds, so before I take
my 3 month old son to beergaden, I just run builds
of my projects I like to work with, so my local
repository is populated - and then leave internet
connection at home.

Works perfectly, and fresh beer lifts productivity :)

> I then transfer the updated local repository on my
> on-line PC to my offline
> PC, change the mode to offline and it builds
> perfectly.

As expected...

> Phew.
> If these are required for general maven usage then
> shouldn't you ship them
> with maven to avoid this process?

A lot of plugins, a lot of dependencies...
Full shipment of those jars will be huge.

And there are jars, you can not ship with maven due
to license problems ( like j2e stuff from sun )

> It would be really useful if there were guidlines on
> how create a new
> project from scratch, perhaps for each project type.
> I don'y mind
> volunterring for this once I know what's going on.

There is a lot of project types possible...
But there is ( AFAIK ) one general guideline  -
projetc produces one atifact, so for J2EE development
best solution seems to put  ejb / web / whatever
tiers into separate projects, and then state
dependencies...

> Greate product and idea though, I think I'll have
> fun with this.

I introduced maven in my company, and it was really
big success - cross project artifact sharing, bette
code reuse,  easier dependency management with out
partner companies...

It saves a lot of time compared to ant builds...

regards,

=====
Konstantin Pribluda ( ko5tik )