Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Seyyed Mehdi Sheikhalishahi <al...@amnafzar.com> on 2004/09/08 13:03:43 UTC

SpamAssissin

Hi
I installed qmail and spamassissin on it. I don't know how configure
spamass to have a blacklist, whitelist ?
How update spam database of spamass for new spammer?
Thanks.

Re: SpamAssissin

Posted by Steve Bertrand <ia...@ibctech.ca>.
> Hi
> I installed qmail and spamassissin on it. I don't know how configure
> spamass to have a blacklist, whitelist ?
> How update spam database of spamass for new spammer?

Ahhh, did you even attempt to read through some of the FAQ wiki or any
of the documentation on the SA homepage, or the distribution you
downloaded?

That's probably the best place to start.

Re: SpamAssissin

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 07:03 AM 9/8/2004, Seyyed Mehdi Sheikhalishahi wrote:
>I installed qmail and spamassissin on it. I don't know how configure
>spamass to have a blacklist, whitelist ?
>How update spam database of spamass for new spammer?

First, read the manpage for the configuration. This will detail how to
change all kinds of settings, including black and whitelists. I suggest
adding entries to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf

Also, don't forget the wiki is your friend, it's a on-line FAQ/help system
built by the SA developers and community:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FrontPage

I'd suggest starting off with the defaults for a while, then as you get
used to SA, start tweaking it. There are lots of things to tune in SA, and
I'd suggest making changes on a "one at a time" basis, as some can have
very dramatic impacts on the overall system speed, accuracy, and/or memory
consumption.

As for "spam database" updates, there is no distinct separate spam database
from SpamAssassin itself, and technically SA doesn't use a "spam database"
at all (except to the extent it will query various RBLs and hash-database
systems). SA uses a collection of spam filtering rules. This ruleset is
upgraded when a new version of SA is released, and the two are not
separable in any easy way. (SpamAssassin is NOT like a virus scanner, see
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/VirusScannerTypeUpdates for details)

Some general things you can do to tune between updates are:
         train your bayes database (man sa-learn)
          download a ruleset or two from www.rulesemporium.com and add it
to /etc/mail/spamassassin (caution, not all these rulesets are well tested,
and some are quite large and consume a lot of memory)
         install the Net::DNS perl module so SA can query RBLs
         install Razor, DCC or any other checksum tool
         add support for the surbl.org URL blacklists if you're not using
SA 3.0. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/spamcopuri/)

Re: SpamAssissin

Posted by Philippe AMIOT <ph...@cirad.fr>.