Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Gogineni, Pratima" <pg...@selectica.com> on 2001/06/10 06:37:04 UTC

JSP translated to Tags???

Speaking of JRUN - I was playing with their latest version 3.1 and they have
a very strange concept/tool ..

You can write jsp pages and name them with a *.jst extension and they get
translated to a custom tag instead of to a servlet. I thought it was not a
good idea - jsp to create tags to use in jsp? and i guess you lose quite a
bit of control on how it is translated etc. and I dont see why writing the
code  as  scriptlets in the jsp page is better than writing the tag handler
classes your self?

Does any one see any merits in this approach?

pratima
Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com>.
It seems to me that this is logically equivalent to using <jsp:include> with
<jsp:param> to specify the attribute values. In other words, this:

<mytags:foo attr1="bar" attr2="baz"/>

would be logically equivalent to this:

<jsp:include page="mytags/foo.jsp">
    <jsp:param name="attr1" value="bar"/>
    <jsp:param name="attr2" value="baz"/>
</jsp:include>

Is this correct, or is there more to it than that?

I guess one thing you would gain from using a tag versus an include is
better performance, but the idea does seem a little odd to me.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <Ed...@Sun.COM>.