Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Adam Sussman <my...@vidya.com> on 1996/06/15 07:08:22 UTC

document_root function

The document_root function in http_core.c has comments that say not to use it.
Is there any reason for this, or an alternative to this function?

What is the best way to get at this information?

-adam

Re: document_root function

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Adam Sussman wrote:

> The document_root function in http_core.c has comments that say not to use it.
> Is there any reason for this, or an alternative to this function?

Neat as I can tell, the reason not to use docuemnt_root() is not
because of the function itself, but how it's used. The comment in
http_core.h is more descriptive than the one in http_core.c. Namely:

char *document_root (request_rec *); /* Don't use this!  If your request went
                                      * through a Userdir, or something like
                                      * that, it'll screw you.  But it's
                                      * back-compatible...
                                      */

Or, in other words, don't make the mistake of thinking that document
root + uri gets you the filename. But I think it's safe to use if you
really do want the document root, for whatever reason.

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server