Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Greg Lappen <gr...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/16 19:03:27 UTC

Unable to use contrib:Table - weird library problem

Hi everyone-

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue
trying to use contrib:Library.  I cannot even get the
example table to work (the Locale one) which is given
in the Component Reference Guide.  Here is the error
message:

Unable to resolve expression 'tableColumnRenderer' for
org.apache.tapestry.contrib.table.components.TableColumns$Enhance_40@438e1e[AdChooser/table.tableColumns].

The root cause is java.lang.ClassCastException, stack
trace:

#
org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageLoader.convert(PageLoader.java:909)
#
org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageLoader.addAssets(PageLoader.java:838)
#
org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageLoader.constructComponent(PageLoader.java:512)
#
org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageLoader.constructComponent(PageLoader.java:504)
#
org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageLoader.loadPage(PageLoader.java:760)
#
org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageSource.getPage(PageSource.java:153)
#
org.apache.tapestry.engine.RequestCycle.getPage(RequestCycle.java:196)
#
org.apache.tapestry.util.ComponentAddress.findComponent(ComponentAddress.java:91)
#
org.apache.tapestry.contrib.table.model.common.ComponentTableRendererSource.getRenderer(ComponentTableRendererSource.java:54)
#
org.apache.tapestry.contrib.table.model.simple.SimpleTableColumnRendererSource.getRenderer(SimpleTableColumnRendererSource.java:72)
#
org.apache.tapestry.contrib.table.model.common.AbstractTableColumn.getColumnRenderer(AbstractTableColumn.java:152)
#
org.apache.tapestry.contrib.table.components.TableColumns.getTableColumnRenderer(TableColumns.java:108)
# sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
#
#
# java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
# ognl.OgnlRuntime.invokeMethod(OgnlRuntime.java:491)
#
ognl.OgnlRuntime.getMethodValue(OgnlRuntime.java:904)
#
ognl.ObjectPropertyAccessor.getPossibleProperty(ObjectPropertyAccessor.java:54)
#
ognl.ObjectPropertyAccessor.getProperty(ObjectPropertyAccessor.java:122)
# ognl.OgnlRuntime.getProperty(OgnlRuntime.java:1616)
# ognl.ASTProperty.getValueBody(ASTProperty.java:96)
#
ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateGetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:170)
# ognl.SimpleNode.getValue(SimpleNode.java:210)
# ognl.Ognl.getValue(Ognl.java:333)
# ognl.Ognl.getValue(Ognl.java:310)
#
#org.apache.tapestry.binding.ExpressionBinding.resolveProperty(ExpressionBinding.java:201)
(truncated)

Any clues would be appreciated!

Greg

Re: Unable to use contrib:Table - weird library problem

Posted by Greg Lappen <gr...@yahoo.com>.
I believe this is the issue, but unfortunately I don't
have the option of switching off Resin (at least not
now, maybe in a couple months)....

My last issue was with a <bean> lifecycle not being
defined, and getting null instead of a default value.
Once I specified this parameter, it worked fine.  Any
sugggestion as to which parameter is not being
initialized properly?

Greg

"http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/dtd/Tapestry_3_0.dtd">

source="ognl:@java.util.Locale@getAvailableLocales()"
> >     columns="Locale:toString(), Language, Country,
> > Variant, ISO3Language, ISO3Country, !select"/>
> jwcid="selectColumnHeader@Block">&nbsp;</span>
> >     <a jwcid="@DirectLink"
> > listener="ognl:listeners.selectLocale"

parameters="ognl:components.table.tableRow">select</a>

> > Weird huh?
> >
> > My last weird issue was related to the Resin xml
> > parser not supporting default values, think this
> could
> > be related to that also?
> >

> > --- Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Do you happen to define assets in that page?
> Could
> > > you send the definition
> > > of those as well?
> > >
> > > The error is because an asset is not of the
> correct
> > > type (can be seen from
> > > the source of Tapestry 3.0), although I am not
> > > entirely sure how it can
> > > happen. It does not have much to do with the
> table,
> > > I believe.

=== message truncated ===

Re: Unable to use contrib:Table - weird library problem

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

It seems that the problem occurs in the page that contains the default
headers of the columns (SimpleTableColumnComponent, more specifically).

Here is one suggestion: could you manually define headers for _all_ of the
columns you have? (perhaps by defining '<Id>ColumnHeader' blocks for each
one of them, as shown in the documentation). This would avoid loading the
page with the default column headers and my guess is that the error will not
appear. You would have an issue of how to do the sorting of the columns
after that, but this can be addressed later. Alas, this is a necessary first
step to circumvent the issue.

Nevertheless, I still do not understand the origin of the problem. If that
page causes a problem, then any definition of a private asset anywhere will
likely do so as well. Not clear why though. Weird...

Posted by Greg Lappen <gr...@yahoo.com>.
FYI - it works flawlessly on Tomcat 5.  I tried using
Resin with the java system properties set to use
Crimson and Xalan, still didn't work :(

Greg
--- Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > My last weird issue was related to the Resin xml
> > parser not supporting default values, think this
> could
> > be related to that also?
>
> Ah! Yes, there have been major problems with various
> versions of Resin.
> Could you try with another version or another
> servlet container?

=== message truncated ===

Re: Unable to use contrib:Table - weird library problem

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Greg Lappen <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

My page doesn't actually define any assets.  Here's
the entire page definition:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <!DOCTYPE page-specification
    PUBLIC "-//Apache Software Foundation//Tapestry
Specification 3.0//EN"

"http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/dtd/Tapestry_3_0.dtd">
<page-specification
class="eric.app.authoring.AdChooser">

    <component id="table" type="contrib:Table">
        <binding name="source" expression="ads"/>
        <static-binding name="columns"
value="Region:region.name, Position:position"/>
    </component>

</page-specification>

My page class has a method getAds() that returns a
List of Ad objects, which have getRegion() and

)
> #

.java:25)

Posted by Greg Lappen <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi John, here's the table definition, hope this helps:

in my page file:

<component id="table" type="contrib:Table">
        <binding name="source" expression="adIter"/>
        <static-binding name="columns"
value="Region:region.name, Position:position"/>
</component>

In my html file:

adIter is a method on my page that returns an Iterator
over a set of Ad objects.

The only reason I don't think its something in the
definition is that i got the same error with the
example table from the reference guide.

I downloaded your examples, looks like good stuff.

Thanks,

Greg
--- John Reynolds <jo...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Please post your table definition.  Perhaps it's
> exactly what it says it
> is; one of your parameters is referencing an object
> of the wrong type.
>
> Just guessing.

specification-path="/org/apache/tapestry/contrib/Contrib.library2"/>

https://bloggers.dev.java.net/files/documents/84/7378/TapestryTables.war

=== message truncated ===

RE: Unable to use contrib:Table - weird library problem

Posted by John Reynolds <jo...@austin.rr.com>.

Posted by Greg Lappen <gr...@yahoo.com>.