Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Angelo Lazzari <an...@redtulp.com> on 2015/10/19 18:57:37 UTC

FlexJS: migration tutorial

Hi all, i have a few flex mobile apps that i think they could be a good
initial test for the porting to FlexJS.

Are there any tutorial or documentation that i can use to port my apps to
FlexJS?

Actually my apps use: Flex 14.1 for the Front end, Robotlegs tecnique to
implement Model, view Controller, Services + inversion of Control + Dependency
injection and  GraniteDS for the comunication with the Java backend.

So, do you think that i could do it?

Thank you very much

Angelo

Re: FlexJS: migration tutorial

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
HI Dolly,

Good to see you here! (I do know you, right?)

Great to see you interested in FlexJS!

Harbs

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/21/15, 8:08 AM, "Brian Head" <br...@nelsonautogroup.net> wrote:

>Alex, I have a huge project that I am anxious to get to FlexJS.  I am
>trying to get to market in the Auto Industry, so I am very busy writing
>the
>application in FB now.
>
>I am looking to migrate it in the future and would love to help when I get
>to that point.  I am anxiously watching how Dollys wiki goes.

Sounds good. If you are developing an app using the regular Flex SDK, I
would be careful not to rely on too many of the Flash things like E4x and
Dictionary and try to use JSON instead of XML.

-Alex

Re: FlexJS: migration tutorial

Posted by Brian Head <br...@nelsonautogroup.net>.
Alex, I have a huge project that I am anxious to get to FlexJS.  I am
trying to get to market in the Auto Industry, so I am very busy writing the
application in FB now.

I am looking to migrate it in the future and would love to help when I get
to that point.  I am anxiously watching how Dollys wiki goes.

Brian Head
cell:918-830-2732
Director of Operations
Nelson Auto Group

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Dolly,

Yes, you are working with a beta, so things are less polished.  What kinds
of documentation are you looking for?  What issues did you find with
integrating FlexJS in FB?

If you have time to help write some of the documentation on the Wiki, we
can give you write access.  Create an account on the wiki and let me know
what the username is (but not the password).

Thanks,
-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Angelo,

Comments inline.

On 10/19/15, 9:57 AM, "Angelo Lazzari" <an...@redtulp.com> wrote:

>Hi all, i have a few flex mobile apps that i think they could be a good
>initial test for the porting to FlexJS.
>
>Are there any tutorial or documentation that i can use to port my apps to
>FlexJS?

We don’t have tutorials or docs yet.  Would you be willing to help us
write it?  We could give you write access to the wiki.  Basically, we need
pioneers like you to help us figure out best practices for migration by
trying to migrate something.

>Actually my apps use: Flex 14.1 for the Front end, Robotlegs tecnique to
>implement Model, view Controller, Services + inversion of Control +
>Dependency
>injection and  GraniteDS for the comunication with the Java backend.
>
>So, do you think that i could do it?

I do have some pre-formed ideas about migration that are scattered
throughout the wiki and some presentation materials.  Let me summarize
them here:

At least for now, FlexJS will not have a way to 100% reproduce everything
you could do in your Flex application code base.  Some things are going to
be hard to implement, or may have performance issues if they do get
implemented.  The list includes things like:

E4X
XML
AMF
Dictionary
Weak References
Event Priority
Deferred DisplayList Updates

My current philosophy is that, instead of investing energy trying to
implement these capabilities, folks may have to re-write sections of their
code to use, for example, JSON instead of E4X, XML, and AMF.  IMO, if
FlexJS didn’t exist, you would have to migrate away from E4X, XML and AMF
anyway, so what FlexJS really does is just give you fewer things to
migrate.  Hopefully, most of your other AS code will cross-compile with
little modification.

Note that I said “AS” code.  For your MXML tags, there is currently a bit
more re-writing to do for now because we haven’t found time to create a
component set that more closely matches the Spark and/or MX components.
Note that I say “for now” because I keep hoping someone will help us
create these more backward-compatible component sets since lots of folks
are asking for it.  I do not promise 100% API compatibility with Spark and
MX because there are some Flash-dependent things in the API like the
assumption that you have Dictionary and weak references in the runtime.  I
did port the FlexStore example from Spark to FlexJS so there is an example
you can reference when trying to port your UI.  But you may also consider
whether it is worth “upgrading” your UI instead of simply migrating it in
order to take advantage of newer popular UI paradigms.

Now for the AS code.  A good quick check is to grep for ‘import flash’ to
see which AS files have Flash dependencies.  Hopefully there are very few
if any in your code and dependent libraries like RobotLegs.  Where there
are dependencies, the question is whether it is possible to emulate it, or
whether that code should be replaced.  It is pretty easy to fake an event.

So, hopefully you can help us out by being a pioneer and documenting your
migration journey.  We’ll try to answer questions as quickly as we can.

Thanks,
-Alex