Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/16 15:34:58 UTC

Re: SMTP Protocol Product? [WAS Re: Running James inside JBoss 5.0.0 GA]

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi jonas

>>> the 2.x series is mature and in maintenance only mode now
>>>
>>> you'll find that trunk is a lot more sophisticated codebase than 2.3.1
>>> so you might have more success starting from there

>>> SMPT may be small but is quite a tricky little protocol so that's
>>> probably wise :-)
>>
>> I also have an application where I would need SMTP but not necessarily
>> a full-fledge mail server.. Would it be possible to extract the SMTP
>> code into an independent module? Similar to protocols/imap?
>
> opinions?

It is obvious since I brought this up but for the sake of completeness
here is my +1..

I don't know for sure but it might be possible that I can spare some
time to look into this. I would probably need a little help getting
started though.

Markus

Re: SMTP Protocol Product? [WAS Re: Running James inside JBoss 5.0.0 GA]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
>> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I also have an application where I would need SMTP but not necessarily
>>> a full-fledge mail server.. Would it be possible to extract the SMTP
>>> code into an independent module? Similar to protocols/imap?
>>
>> opinions?
>
> It is obvious since I brought this up but for the sake of completeness
> here is my +1..
>
> I don't know for sure but it might be possible that I can spare some
> time to look into this. I would probably need a little help getting
> started though.

i've opened a JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-889)
to gather use cases. if anyone has an specific ones in mind, please
add them.

(this is just about getting a feel for requirements - working out
whether this is something we'd want to do would come later)

- robert