Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Fred Preston <PR...@uk.ibm.com> on 2004/12/01 15:43:12 UTC

Re: Time and Date

Hi All,
      I'm still looking at a better solution for dateTime.  Currently when
decoding the dateTime field, the SoapDeSerializer::getElementAsDateTime()
returns a struct tm.  When encoding the dateTime field, the
SoapSerializer::addOutputParam() method expects a struct tm structure to be
passed to it.  The tm struct is strongly associated with time functions
that will interpret the year field differently from the definition used in
the XML specification.  For example, tm makes the assumption that year 0 is
1900 (see comment in WCHAR.H) while the time functions (defined in time.h)
assume year 0 is 1970.  The XML specification says year 0 does not exist
(ISO8601) and the later, second edition says that year 0 is 1BC (pushing
all minus years back one year)!  Can we change the type used by time and
date functions from the current structure type (and all its problems) to a
more generic type that also caters for timezone offsets.  My recommendation
would be to create a new TimeDate class and to drop all of the required
function into methods within this class.

Regards,

Fred Preston.

                      Fred
                      Preston/UK/IBM@IB        To:       axis-c-dev@ws.apache.org
                      MGB                      cc:
                                               Subject:  Time and Date
                      30/11/04 14:06
                      Please respond to
                      "Apache AXIS C
                      Developers List"

Hi All,
      I'm currently looking at the serialisation/deserialisation of time
and date and it strikes me that maybe we should be using
__time64_t/mktime64() rather than time_t /mktime().  Does anyone have any
views on the subject?

Regards,

Fred Preston.

Re: Time and Date

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

is ICU 4C supported ?

John Hawkins

             Nadir Amra
             <am...@us.ibm.com>
             01/12/2004 23:04          "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
                                       <ax...@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc
             Please respond to
              "Apache AXIS C                                       Subject
             Developers List"          Re: Time and Date

With regards to whether to use __time64_t/mktime64() rather than time_t
/mktime(), the 64 apis are not supported on OS/400 and I think you would
want to stay with what is common across the platforms.

Re: Time and Date

Posted by Nadir Amra <am...@us.ibm.com>.