Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> on 2007/05/12 03:19:50 UTC

Re: Process for promoting bundle from sandbox to felix

(moved this to the dev list as suggested by Upayavira)

On May 10, 2007, at 20:25 , Upayavira wrote:

> Stefano Lenzi wrote:
>>     The fact that Didier as released new bundles in its own
>> sandbox has pop-up an idea in my mind ( I hope that's the above is
>> English-aware :P )
>>     Do we have a process to follow in order to promote "Sandbox
>> Bundle" to "Felix Bundle" ? If we don't have any process for such
>> purpose should we create a set of steps: at least two Felix
>> developer  should vote for the promotion, no open critical bugs
>> relate to the bundle, etc.
>
> This is a fair enough question, but one that should best be asked
> on the dev list. The sort of things you mention are the sort of
> things I woudld imagine - more than one dev behind the bundle, etc.

I agree with Stefano that we need to define some kind of process for
bundle development and release. In the spirit of OSGi I think we
should definitely not try to do "big bang" releases (releasing
everything at once). Instead, each individual bundle (or group of
bundles that provide some kind of feature), should be able to do
releases separately.

What we need in my opinion is some kind of guideline about what we
expect from a bundle before it is released. I'm thinking about
developers voting, doing a code review, making sure there are tests
and that these tests provide reasonable coverage. In short, a process
not unlike incubation.

As for bundles that have not been released yet, we should definitely
make sure that the code is either maintained and scheduled for
eventual release, or simply put in some part of the repository where
we can store examples, toy with ideas, proofs of concept, etc.

Greetings, Marcel