Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Justin <jr...@redhat.com> on 2012/10/26 02:53:00 UTC

0.20 release update - alpha is available, proposed schedule change

Hi, folks.  0.20 alpha is here:

   http://people.apache.org/~jross/qpid-0.20-alpha/

My testing on Fedora 16 x86_64 showed two test suites failing, the cpp
test suite under cmake (I think this one is expected) and the cpp test
suite under autotools.  Notes on what passed and what didn't are here:

   http://people.apache.org/~jross/qpid-0.20-alpha-testing.txt

Please give the alpha a try in your environment.  Consider exercising a
part of the code that others may not.  Most important, report your
findings, positive or negative.  I really appreciate it.

To quickly recap our standard policy: between today's alpha and beta in
the coming weeks, new features or refactorings can be included only if
they are first discussed on this list and determined to represent a
minimal threat to the release's quality.  Bug fixes, in contrast, are
unencumbered.

Finally, many of our contributors are working both on 0.20 and on proton
0.2, and it turns out there is a schedule conflict.  Proton 0.2 is being
prepared in time for the ApacheCon in early November.  That's about the
same time that we would ordinarily be finishing the 0.20 beta.

I propose we extend the 0.20 beta date by two weeks to November 14th to
give these contributors time to prepare Proton 0.2 and complete what they
set out to do for 0.20.  Under this scheme, all the remaining 0.20 dates
would move out a corresponding two weeks, but the 0.22 schedule would be
unchanged.  Thanks for your consideration; I of course invite any and all
comments or objections.

Thanks,
Justin

---
0.20 release page: https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/020-release.html

Re: 0.20 release update - alpha is available, proposed schedule change

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I think that seems reasonable enough, but it would probably then be good to
take another alpha cut of Qpid prior to ApacheCon if we can so that people
can also try it out if they wanted, rather than just 0.18.

Robbie