Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/28 01:03:57 UTC

Secondary meaning to mahout - מהות

I heard some time ago that Mahout had a meaning in Hebrew in addition to the
normal reading that we started with as the driver of the elephant.

Unfortunately, my Hebrew is non-existent beyond recognizing the letters on a
top so I had to find somebody who knows the language to clarify.  I have had
a few folks promise to send me the correct spelling, but none followed
through.

Today I finally got a native informant to confirm that mahout in Hebrew or
rather (מהות) means "essence" or "true meaning".  That seems like a pretty
nice tie-in for a data-mining project.

Re: Secondary meaning to mahout - מהות

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Thu Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Today I finally got a native informant to confirm that mahout in
> Hebrew or rather (מהות) means "essence" or "true meaning".  That
> seems like a pretty nice tie-in for a data-mining project.

Excellent - thanks for sharing that insight.

Isabel

Re: Secondary meaning to mahout - מהות

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Beautiful.