Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu> on 2004/05/04 20:50:03 UTC

[RT] The Bootable Cocoon Demo CD

Has anyone had any luck (or even tried) to create a bootable CD with a
working Cocoon/Jetty installed?

I've played a little with Knoppix [1], and I was impressed with what
they can cram into a single CD.  There's even docs about remastering
Knoppix to suit your needs [2].

Things to think about:

o No writable disk.  This means there would be nowhere to put logs and
other stuff.  Does Knoppix have a ramdisk?

o Speed.  Not sure if this would be a factor.

o Distributing other software.  I'm not sure what Sun has to say about
distributing their JRE. I think it would be fine.  Acrobat Reader would
be another "must" to show off the FOP.  SVG viewers are good as well.

It would be really cool to pop in a CD, and have the system boot to a
web browser with a running instance of Cocoon.  I'm not totally sure how
useful it would be, but it might be worth at least checking out.

WDYT?

Tony

[1] http://www.knoppix.net/
[2] http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

Re: [RT] The Bootable Cocoon Demo CD

Posted by Harald Wehr <hw...@hs-harz.de>.
Tony,

this works quite good. One year ago we remastered Knoppix to put the
http://www.mobiharz.de site within knoppix.

 > Things to think about:
 >
 > o No writable disk.  This means there would be nowhere to put logs
and other stuff.  Does Knoppix have a ramdisk?

It has, as the other posts already mentioned. I wrote some startup
scripts which put all the writeable things into ramdisk. As the mobiharz
system needed a postgres database we even took the database into ram disk!

 > o Speed.  Not sure if this would be a factor.

Of course it is slower but satisfied our needs for demonstration issues.

 > o Distributing other software.  I'm not sure what Sun has to say
about distributing their JRE. I think it would be fine.  Acrobat Reader
would be another "must" to show off the FOP.  SVG viewers are good as well.

Thats a problem to my mind. You carefully have to study the licensing
agreements about that. Have you considered other software like JRE from
http://www.blackdown.org or xpdf?

--
Harald Wehr

Institut für Tourismus- und Geo-Informationssysteme GmbH
Sitz: Friedrichstrasse 57-59 38855 Wernigerode

Büro: Gießerweg 5
       38855 Wernigerode            Web:     http://www.itgis.com
                                    Tel:     03943/557807
                                    Fax:     03943/557808

Das Internet-Lexikon Knowlex - Ein Service der ITGIS GmbH
http://www.knowlex.org

Privat: http://www.harald-wehr.de

Re: [RT] The Bootable Cocoon Demo CD

Posted by "keith d. zimmerman" <li...@kdz13.net>.
New user here, but i've seen knoppix.  comments inline...
-kz

Tony Collen wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck (or even tried) to create a bootable CD with a
> working Cocoon/Jetty installed?
>
> I've played a little with Knoppix [1], and I was impressed with what
> they can cram into a single CD.  There's even docs about remastering
> Knoppix to suit your needs [2].
>
> Things to think about:
>
> o No writable disk.  This means there would be nowhere to put logs and
> other stuff.  Does Knoppix have a ramdisk?
very much so.  the memory requirements are fairly large.

> o Speed.  Not sure if this would be a factor.
shouldn't be.  the initial load might be a bit more, but once loaded,
i'm thinking all *should* be well.

> o Distributing other software.  I'm not sure what Sun has to say about
> distributing their JRE. I think it would be fine.  Acrobat Reader would
> be another "must" to show off the FOP.  SVG viewers are good as well.
this i don't know about

> It would be really cool to pop in a CD, and have the system boot to a
> web browser with a running instance of Cocoon.  I'm not totally sure how
> useful it would be, but it might be worth at least checking out.
>
> WDYT?
quite cool indeed.

Re: [RT] The Bootable Cocoon Demo CD

Posted by Christian Rosenberger <pi...@gmx.de>.
Hi Tony!

> Has anyone had any luck (or even tried) to create a bootable CD with a
> working Cocoon/Jetty installed?

There is a Knoppix remastered CD for Java/Tomcat/JBoss:
http://moe.tnc.edu.tw/~kendrew/pollix/

> I've played a little with Knoppix [1], and I was impressed with what
> they can cram into a single CD.  There's even docs about remastering
> Knoppix to suit your needs [2].
>
> Things to think about:
>
> o No writable disk.  This means there would be nowhere to put logs and
> other stuff.  Does Knoppix have a ramdisk?

Yes, it has. Works great.

> o Speed.  Not sure if this would be a factor.

With enough RAM this should be no problem.

> o Distributing other software.  I'm not sure what Sun has to say about
> distributing their JRE. I think it would be fine.  Acrobat Reader would
> be another "must" to show off the FOP.  SVG viewers are good as well.
>
> It would be really cool to pop in a CD, and have the system boot to a
> web browser with a running instance of Cocoon.  I'm not totally sure how
> useful it would be, but it might be worth at least checking out.
> WDYT?
Think it would be very good for demonstration purpose. You could have your
applications on an usb stick and mount this directory to the live CD.

Regards,

Christian